g9 dizzy?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
sid nz

g9 dizzy?

Post by sid nz »

i have just completed an engine rebuild on my 1960 g9. looking from the clutch side the rotor cap spins clockwise. however the springs for the auto advance unit are pulling the cap anti-clockwise. this does not seem right to me? i have pulled it to pieces and it cant be assembled backwards or upside down. the body has the arrow pointing in the correct direction but i am wondering if these distributors were made for various models (clock-wise and anti clock-wise) could and have the wrong internals?
thanks
sid
sid
chasdev

g9 dizzy?

Post by chasdev »

I can't answer your question but I do know that advance is opposite from rotation..Edited by - chasdev on 27 Dec 2010 10:41:22 PM
ajscomboman

g9 dizzy?

Post by ajscomboman »

Surely the springs are for the auto retard. Under centrifugal force the bobweights automatically overcome the spring rating and advance the timing. Coming of the throttle and with revs slowing the springs pull the timing back onto retard otherwise the revs wont drop down to a steady idle. Thats how my dizzies work. Thats why when I time the engine I have to make sure I turn the rotor manually onto full advance overcoming the spring tension when setting.
sid nz

g9 dizzy?

Post by sid nz »

think i am on top of it now. thanks for your time and help
ride on
sid