Should I fit indicators?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
arsey30

Should I fit indicators?

Post by arsey30 »

quote:
Arsey, I like the handle bar indicators, is there a danger of them not being visible from the rear if one is on the large side and wearing bulky clothing! Also, where does the wiring run from the light unit etc.

It's possible they may be obscured, but they are HELLA replicas as fitted to older BMWs, and as it happens a normal size Japanese chap will be riding it :-)
See picture 2149, it shows the indicator sheathing running at the back of the headlight, entering the shell with the rest of the frame loom.
I drilled the bottom centre of the bars and ran wiring from the indicators to the handlebar switch, via snap connectors.

I fitted a rubber mounted flasher relay to the speedo bracket inside the shell and ran wiring out to the switch via a connector.

Dave.

alanjennings

Should I fit indicators?

Post by alanjennings »

Having being away for over a year-or so it seems, in Cuba, I'm a bit late for my "4penny's worth"!-But the only bike I have not got indicators on is my '28 B.S.A.-and that I ride as a bicycle!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Malleon

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Malleon »

.....and just about as quickly (or were they by N.S.U. ?)
Incidentally , what's all this about Morinis and you being biased???
Is a puzzlement !
Welcome home, and best regards.Edited by - Malleon on 31 Jan 2011 1:19:12 PM
mike.dowling

Should I fit indicators?

Post by mike.dowling »

Just reading the arguments for and against indicators, wandering around Kempton yesterday I deceided to bite the bullet and fit indicators to my Fanny b as a start and see how I get on with them.
Been busy today and there just about fitted and tested I just need to tidy the wiring and give it a try.
I'll let you know what happens!!!!
Regards
Mike d.
MikeM.

Should I fit indicators?

Post by MikeM. »

Does your FB produce enough Juice to power up the indicators Mike?
mike.dowling

Should I fit indicators?

Post by mike.dowling »

It is the 250 AMC engine running an altenator on 12 Volts so it should be alright ill find out shortly when I go for a ride but they run O/K on the battery .
Regards
Mike d.
rex.webb

Should I fit indicators?

Post by rex.webb »

Keep up the GOOD WORK Mike.
Pleanty of other F.B,s with indicatore round here.
Ride with Care and Live Long
r w webb
Eric

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Eric »

I remember my first bike was a James Captain (197cc Villiers) I had a crash bar with a spotlight and fog light.

I used an indicator switch to turn on one or the other, but not both. It had a battery and could support one of the auxiliary lights for quite sometime.

The good thing if I remember correctly was that even with a flat battery it would still start as it was in fact a flywheel magneto.
alanjennings

Should I fit indicators?

Post by alanjennings »

Thank you, Malcolm for your kind wishes on my safe return from sunny Cuba! don't knock N.S.U. quickly's-I did many a happy mile on my dear old Dad's when I was 'sweet 16'-especially to go "courting on!"-but don't tell Judy my beloved!-Twice this week motorists have ignored my presence on "roundabouts" and tried to kill me-my green belt ,headlamps and indicators have been to no avail!!-I was still "invisible" to them!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings