Ignition/Headlamp switch shrouds

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
jajo57

Post by jajo57 »

I'm sorry folks but I've searched the Forum for the information I need but cannot find it even though I know I read it here.

On my lightweight Model 8 that I'm restoring, the Wipac ignition and headlamp switches each have a rubber shroud covering the connections, one is black, the other is grey or could be light blue, can someone please tell me which goes where.
----------------------------------------------------------
Remember, everything is easy when you know how to do it.
itma

Post by itma »

the plugs are different if I remember rightly and should only go on one way.
what is important is that you scure the plug to the switch, tape or whatever as they are prone to fall off at the worst moment
jajo57

Post by jajo57 »

Thank you Itma. Both switches have a steel strap that, once in place, locates the bottom or female portion of the switch assembly to the top portion and thus prevents the two parting company. Thank you for the tip that the switches are different, looking at them they look identical, 9 pins each, so, I will have to get the multimeter out and check each pin as I operate the switch, once that's done I will check it against the wiring diagram.
Remember, everything is easy when you know how to do it.
itma

Post by itma »

they might look identcal but I am sure the pin spacings were different, I could be wrong, would'nt be the first time.

even with the clips tape the plugs, safe and sureEdited by - itma on 02 Nov 2010 6:52:43 PM
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Bit late with the reply but according to the manual BLUE is the Lighting connector and BLACK is Ignition. The switches are apparently identical so I guess its just to make life easy when remembering which connector goes on which switch.
Peter W