workshop manual for model 8

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
goldwing

Post by goldwing »

hi,
i have got a 350 model 8 in about 200 bits and rearly need a good workshop manual to see where all the bits fit,can anyone please help

thank,john
itma

Post by itma »

jajo57

Post by jajo57 »

I am at the end of a 14 month quest to assemble a 1960 Model 8 which, like yours was in a multitude of parts but, with the added challenge that many of the parts I aquired were from other models and were therefore useless to me. The documentation available on our website is helpful but is sometimes ambiguous and misleading so I relied heavily on information and advice from other lightweight owners and I make no excuses for saying they were incredibly helpful and accomodating.

One member, who I've got to know quite well, even took parts of his Model 8 apart and photographed them in the order in which they were assembled thus making my life much easier.

So, if you get stuck put a cry for help on here and one or more of us lighweight owners WILL help you out.

Finally, many months ago during a telephone conversation with a supplier of AMC parts, he said to me and I quote "In my view anyone restoring a lightweight should be given a knighthood"

Good luck, SIR

RichardEdited by - jajo57 on 13 Jan 2011 4:04:27 PM
----------------------------------------------------------
Remember, everything is easy when you know how to do it.
----------------------------------------------------------
BigAl350

Post by BigAl350 »

I quite agree with Sir Richard here. These are super bikes but can be a trial of patience at times. I'm very happy for any Lightweight owner to contact me for photos, explanations and general sympathy (tea and coffee by arrangement if you come over to see my Lightweights in person too).

The most useful documents to have are:
1) The 1960 AMC parts list for the Model 8 or G5 (same bike - different badges and colours) which is here - http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
There's an additional list for later bikes here - http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... o_1966.pdf

2) The workshop manual -
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop ... 7-1964.pdf Beware, this also covers the Heavyweights, so don't get things mixed up!

3) The FW Neill's workshop/overhaul manual for AMC singles. This is quite good but again covers several models - http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop ... 7-1966.pdf

4) The owner's manual for Model 8/G5 - http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

There are also several articles from magazines, etc, in the brilliant archive - you can find these yourself!

Best of luck - the noble Lightweighteers are pleased to help!

Regards,
Sir Al

quote:
I am at the end of a 14 month quest to assemble a 1960 Model 8 which, like yours was in a multitude of parts but, with the added challenge that many of the parts I aquired were from other models and were therefore useless to me. The documentation available on our website is helpful but is sometimes ambiguous and misleading so I relied heavily on information and advice from other lightweight owners and I make no excuses for saying they were incredibly helpful and accomodating.

One member, who I've got to know quite well, even took parts of his Model 8 apart and photographed them in the order in which they were assembled thus making my life much easier.

So, if you get stuck put a cry for help on here and one or more of us lighweight owners WILL help you out.

Finally, many months ago during a telephone conversation with a supplier of AMC parts, he said to me and I quote "In my view anyone restoring a lightweight should be given a knighthood"

Good luck, SIR

Richard
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

g5 butch

Post by g5 butch »

Hi
I have a 61 G5 350 on club plates, I have gust removed the head and cylinder looking for a noise in the motor. By using some of the sites you have listed found that there has been some modes that will explain why I have oil leakes.It didn’t have a head gasket as shown in the exploded views, what it did have was a copper shim between the spigot on top of the cylinder and the recess in the head and sealer on the facers.

There were mods to the oil filter with a made up external filter fitted with external feed lines to the rocker gear and I would like to change it back to original.

Is there any problems with the oil filter that they were made with any feed back would be a help?

Its good to see interest in these bikes I find it to ride enjoyable to ride.

Regards Wayne
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Butch..............I have a 61 G5 which I've almost finished restoring, if thats the right word, the head gasket should be full size covering the mating surface, there two types all copper, and copper with composite outer, I prefer the copper, while the head is off check it for flatness. I'd like to see a photo of external oil filter, I'm wondering how the oil gets to the internal rocker gear and valve stems, the original oil filter is quite basic but does a job, all the parts can be sourced from JLS, if you need help which parts to order pm me
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
g5 butch

Post by g5 butch »

Hi Colin
What he did was fit the filter under the tank and from the outer case of the oil filter run three lines to different parts of the rocker gear to lube the top end, drilled and taped holes in to the rockerbox. I have now taken the motor apart the found that this may have been changed because there wasn’t any oil feeding up through the cylinder. It looks as though the changes were done because of a oil supply problem to the top end.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Seems a lot of work, easier to fix the problem, if you want to revert back to original filter and need help with parts just ask, I had no filter in mine when I stripped it, all parts are available through JSL, for not a lot of money
only dead fish go with the flow