No Spark

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

I am coming to the final stages of the restoration of a 1963 G2 CSR that i was given and i have no spark coming from the plug. I am new to this so excuse my ignorant as i don't know whether it has points or a magneto, also once i know what i'm doing can anyone tell me the gap sizes for plug and points/magneto?

Thanks Kev.
Janet

No Spark

Post by Janet »

Ithink you should have got a wirkshop manual. ALthough the CSR is a bit different from the earlier G2 and I found some changes dificult to identify, it would have helped you enormously.

Withought wanting to appear insulting, how on earth did you manage to get this far without discovering it has an alternator, coil ignition and points?

Plug gap .020" - .022"
contact breaker gap .012" You'll find it behind an oval cover on the rhs ( as you sit on the bike ) crankcase. The automatic advance/retard unit sits behind the backing plate.
Put a good battery in. It should start without an alternator but needs a battery, althoguh it won't run for long, even on emergency ignition. This gives you the chance to test for a spark when your charging circuit isn't working.

g80csp11

No Spark

Post by g80csp11 »

The answers to Kevins questions are in the manuals as Janet has mentioned.
The link that everyone should use for manuals , technical data, pictures is:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Janet

No Spark

Post by Janet »

I stand corrected and apologize for my previous comment.
I've just been told that it could also have a magneto fitted even with an alternator as this gets done on competition bikes, and you wouldn't necessarily know.
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

G80csp11, I can't get the link to work to the technical data etc. The person who gave me the bike told me it had a magneto, yet when I spoke to jampot spares last year, they told me the G2 had points. Being new to this, I don't have the mechanical knowledge to be able to tell the difference betwen the two upon visual inspection. I have tried searching the internet for images but have strugled to find any. I also have the service and overhaul manual for the model, but it doesn't contain pictures of the parts in question. I have check that I have power going to the breakers as I have tested them and the battery and plug are new.
BigAl350

No Spark

Post by BigAl350 »

Might be worth replacing the condenser (which is usually fitted in with the points) as a matter of course. If original, it will be pretty knackered by now as capacitors tend to deteriorate with age. You can get replacements for under few Pounds but get new ones, NOT old stock ones.

Try another coil too, make sure all the connections to the coil are good. These are dead simple bikes, so try the obvious stuff first.

Al
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

I've took the condenser out so i get it replaced tomorrow and then see if it makes a difference before replacing the coil. It is a Lucas condenser with 09-76 and 500V DC MAX stamped on it, does this mean i have magneto or distributor?
Janet

No Spark

Post by Janet »

A few suggestions.
1) ask the person who gave you the bike why he thinks/knows it's got a magneto and get him to point it out to you.
2) look at page 14 of the spares list sent out to club members. This shows an exploded view of engine and gearbox. Start from the right hand end and work your way along checking with your machine. If you've got all those bits and nothing else, it's standard with points ignition.
3) Take off the right hand engine cover and take photos of what's inside and around the engine. Then put it on photobucket or similar and post up the links so we can see it.
4)go to your nearest section meeting and ask there. If you're lucky, one of the members will offer to visit your house and look at your bike.
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

Put in a new condenser today but still no spark. Then i switched the switch on the headlight from I to E and then i had an amp reading so kicked her over and had a spark! Woooo Hoooo.I had asumed that the E setting was for the emergency starting. I then turned the fuel on and after about 7 kicks she came to life for the first time in almost 30 years. I gentley revved her for about a minute to keep her ticking over.
When i stopped her i noticed loads of oil had come out of the sparkplug hole and the carb was leaking from the tickler and float bowl cover even though it has a new gasket.
The main worry though is the oil coming from the sparkplug hole. Any help with this would be great.
Maybe it's time to call in the experts.
In which case does anyone know where i could find the nearest garage to me that has a knowledge of classic bikes?
I live just outside Leamington Spa.
alanengineer

No Spark

Post by alanengineer »

If you take Janets advice and go to your local section and ask them round it will cost you bucket loads of tea and be the best investment you will ever make.
Free advice and help from people who know. cant praise my local sections enough, im sure they are all similar