No Spark

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
SPRIDDLER

No Spark

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
...loads of oil had come out of the sparkplug hole and the carb was leaking from the tickler and float bowl cover

Welcome to the old bike world!

Pls don't be offended Kevin, you'll get all the help you need here, but I'm assuming from the naivete of your questions that when you say 'restoration' in your first post you must be referring to cosmetic, i.e. metalware restoration, rather than mechanical work.
Reference to the Owner's Manual would have told you that the 'E' position is for Emergency start - i.e. flat battery.
I'm 99% certain that the fact that you have an 'E' switch position confirms that you have an alternator with coil ignition, but your bike's a bit modern for mag an' dynamo Philistines like me.
I endorse completely the suggestion to visit to your local section were you can benefit in 20 mins from experience to correct basic, common, faults that would take days to diagnose/discuss on here.
For example, the carb flooding is probably because:
a) The needle isn't shutting off the supply when the bowl is full.
b) Gummy deposits from old fuel.
c) Dirt under needle.
d) Fibre washer where it shouldn't be.
e) Punctured float.......?
Have you included the carb in your 'restoration'?

Oil from the plug 'ole could be:
a)Plug needs tightening.
b)Faulty plug construction - even if it's a new one - ceramic not sealed to steel body.
c)Excess assembly oil (if you rebuilt th'engine) needs to be cleared from cylinder by running the engine 'for a while' to burn it away.
d)Th'oil may well have leaked out of the rocker cover and is merely collecting at the plug 'ole.
e) Copper washer missing from spark plug
f) All of the above, plus a good few more possibilities from someone who is more familar with Lightweight models than I am.
Hope that gives you somwhere to start.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

No Spark

Post by Janet »

quote: If you take Janets advice I don't think he'd take my advice about anything. I think his nearest group of experts section is about 6 miles from where he lives but he'd rather pay a garage.
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

alanengineer

No Spark

Post by alanengineer »

thats 6 miles there and 6 miles back with petrol at ££££££££££s a thimble full. It cheaper to set a posh garage and an army of lawyers to fix it. Well nearly
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

Chll out girl. When you posted your reply about me finding my local section i was in the middle of writing the post about finding a garage. I am more then happy for anyones advice as i'm new to this with no knowledge about motorbikes. I'd like to say thankyou to everyone who has replied as you have been a great help.
After taking the float bowl cover of to check float i noticed that the float spindle bush is missing so i have ordered one. Pity i did not notice it when fitting the new viton tipped float needle.
Youngster

No Spark

Post by Youngster »

Hi Kevin,

This might sound like a daft question but how can you be new to motorbikes and coming to the end of a restoration??

if you click on the link for the archives, it should take you there if not then try copying and pasting it into your browser.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

There are a couple of exploded diagrams of the lightweight engine so you may be able to see if yours is different from these. A parts manual is also a good idea.

You would do well to speak to someone that knows about bikes, otherwise you may end up with something that whilst it works, is potentially dangerous to ride.

As Spriddler says, bribing someone with tea and biscuits is a good plan, also mentioning that theres a few beers in it might help as well.

Good luck with getting it sorted!Edited by - Youngster on 14 Mar 2011 4:53:56 PM
Too many bikes, So little time!!
Kevin Northey

No Spark

Post by Kevin Northey »

Maybe i should point out that i was recently given the bike by my father in law, who i should mention lives in Spain from January to May so is not around to help.
He had rebuild the engine and gearbox just before leaving it to sit in his garage for the last 25 years or so.
As the major work was already done he gave it to me to see if i wanted to finish it off. As Spriddler mentioned, my tasks have been more more cosmetic, i.e. metalware restoration as well as some electrics, tank de-rusting, fuel lines and petrol taps and replacing the exhaust.
I promise not to mention local garages again.