G11 CSR MISFIRE

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
J.C.MCARTHUR

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by J.C.MCARTHUR »

Andy,
may well take you up on offer . I'll get a couple of pick ups after Easter and see if that cures the problem if not we're all yours.Spoke to Peter this morning re mag issues and he offered advice on checking mag.

Bizarre goes for about 30 40 mins and then starts running on one pot then 2nd kicks in and i head for home. I'm hoping its the dodgy pick up that causing the issue other than that the bikes great
J.C.MCARTHUR

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by J.C.MCARTHUR »

Well tonights the night ! fitted heat spacer on carb new points new pick ups. Fingers crossed that its not magneto overhaul time.

Lets hope i don't need to use this face
SPRIDDLER

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Well tonights the night !
Lets hope i don't need to use this face

Too much information John, but leave yourself time to try the bike out afterwards
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
J.C.MCARTHUR

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by J.C.MCARTHUR »

Nev,
having put new points and pickups on etc . fired bike up and yes you guessed it its magneto time

It ran like a bag of shite so i rechecked the points and opened em up a bit to 12 thou were at 10 and it sits there running on 2 and then 1 so can't really make much sense of carb settings anyway.

love the bike but by **** its trying me patience ! i had the little black bike about right and so what do i go and do sell it !

Will go over it again tomorrow but its shaping up like off with mag
SPRIDDLER

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's deja-vu, all over agin Rodney.
Yep, you should've kept that lovely rigid single...

Borrow Andy's mag - it'll at least keep you mobile and possibly save you a wad if there's still the same problem.
J.C.MCARTHUR

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by J.C.MCARTHUR »

Goodish news. fiddled with points again thats the 3rd time of asking and decided to take off one of the brand new pickups and put the good old one back on and fired it up and hey presto no misfire as experienced last night ! kept fingers crossed and fiddled with carb settings all seemed not to bad,well at least i'd got back to where i'd started ! Chucked skid lid on and off we went fully expecting same old story of 30 mins for reaccuuring misfire. Bike went sweet and no misfire. Thought it must be a fluke surely .Watched Kate and Wills get married and went out for and hour plus all well. Hurrah !

New parts aren't always perhaps as good as good old ones. Will see how it goes over weekend and if needed at least i can get to Andys now !!! Are you off to Amberley. Note cheesey smile tonight
SPRIDDLER

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by SPRIDDLER »

So it may have been either the points or the pickup. Maybe put the new pick-up back on and see if the misfire returns? (Take the other one out with you though!).
Vintage Bikes at Amberley is the 8th according to their website so may get a lift there by car.
I notice that this Monday (2nd) is Stationary Engine Day.
Visitors can view one of those in my shed every day
J.C.MCARTHUR

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by J.C.MCARTHUR »

Have horrid confession to make bought 2 pickups made in Taiwan apparantly. The threads on the screw in caps were awful so that may have been why one of the new ones didn't have the desired effect. Will be purchasing a couple of Lucas jobbys to replace the taiwanise efforts.

Perhaps you do get what you pay for some of the time . Hope to see you at Amberley .

wilko

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by wilko »

Taiwan is one of the better foreign makers.
J.C.MCARTHUR

G11 CSR MISFIRE

Post by J.C.MCARTHUR »

So i understand ,however as aleady stated the fittings are crap. God knows what i was thinking about putting something from Taiwan on me bike although i've know doubt the things littered with stuff made in little villages far away from blighty !! Thanks again for all words of advice and kind offers