250CSR authenticity

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
metalmicky

250CSR authenticity

Post by metalmicky »

Is there anyone who has the knowledge of these two fiftys who can help me identify the genuine article I have looked at a bike registered in 1968 the engine number has the prefix 14CSR followed by five digits with a frame no of five digits no prefix. It has alloy guards, swept back exhaust and apart from a blue and chrome tank everything else is black.
Dick Hobart

250CSR authenticity

Post by Dick Hobart »

You'll get more knowledgeable replies than mine but as far as I recall the guards were chromed steel, not alloy. More importantly the lightweight CSRs had the heavyweight forks and an alloy British Hub in the front wheel, but maintaining the Francis Barnett unit in the rear. Swept exhaust and blue and chrome tank is correct, and I believe the tool boxes were also blue.
Eamonn
Webmaster

250CSR authenticity

Post by Eamonn »

Use the clubs Machine Dating service to get a definitive answer.
Corners like a Lego man
spindle

250CSR authenticity

Post by spindle »

after 64 they fitted alloy guards and the front hub should have an air cooling spout (only the csr) but it was only for show!
The last one's came out of the factory in 1966 when it closed, First registration does not mean much some dealers had them hanging around for years!. use the club dating service
itma

250CSR authenticity

Post by itma »

factory did not close in 1966.
I know I was there in 1968
spindle

250CSR authenticity

Post by spindle »

Thats interesting after reading the book "MATCHLESS THE COMPLETE STORY" by Mick Walker, i was sure it stated the last 250csr was made in mid july in 1966 Mechanically it was unchanged with alloy mudguards and a swept back exaust "Gold star patten" and its departure marked the end of the lightweight so i wrongly assumed that was when AMC closed...Thanks itma for putting me Right on that