Broken primary chain

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
cbranni

Broken primary chain

Post by cbranni »

Wheeled the bike out yesterday to go for a spin, started as usual first kick, as it started there was a bang!!! primary chain snapped, as luck would have it no damage done and a clean break, now the question is can I slip a connecting link in as a fix till new chain from JSL arrives and as stocks are low, I may have to look elsewhere so may take few weeks, and as I use the bike to commute 15 miles to work (when its dry) am I pushing my luck, any thoughts guys.........thanks
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
TommoT

Broken primary chain

Post by TommoT »

It's a bit of a gamble, the breakage could be an indication that the chain is worn. But maybe you know the approximate age/mileage of the chain? If it has endured a fair mileage, it may be risky!
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
BigAl350

Broken primary chain

Post by BigAl350 »

A new chain is easily available from several sources. I replaced my totally-knackered endless duplex on my G5 with a duplex chain and split duplex link for under £20 (Regina brand). A bit of a fiddle to get on but it's been fine for many hundreds of miles now.

The 250 Lightweights (generally) used a a simplex chain with split link quite successfully and there's not a huge amount more power available from the 350 so a split link should be fine on the 350 - assuming the original chain is not excessively-worn. Finding out just why your chain broke in the first place should be investigated as a matter of urgency though.

Al
Al Bolton, G4VSQ
1960 Matchless G5 (Off the road for now, maybe for sale?)
1960 AJS Model 8 (Just passed MoT)
1962 AJS Model 8 (Still lurking in a Devon shed in bits)
Rob Harknett

Broken primary chain

Post by Rob Harknett »

What model is the bike with the broken chain.
You may not discover why it broke. Assuming the reason was not because it was so worn out and slack and you have the correct gearbox adjuster which locks it at the correct tension. If its the tin chain case, make sure one of the little screws that hold the chain case on the crank case has not worked loose.
You may not spot this screw when the oil drains out. It happened to a friend once and I said the screws are missing, they must had broken the chain when they came out, he said what screws. ( and tab washers )
clive

Broken primary chain

Post by clive »

G5 Rob, in the title your comment very appropriate for heavyweight
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
cbranni

Broken primary chain

Post by cbranni »

Thanks for the replies guys, when I stripped it down the clutch basket nut was loose, with about an eigth endfloat, (sure I tightened it up)this I imagine was the cause of the breakage.
Anyway I had a link from a local transmission stockist who kindly opened his shop on Saturday for me, I tightened said nut with pneumatic impact driver, boxed it all up and running fine, done 70 miles since, good biking weather.
While I'm here .......when I'm tootling along at 40 I have an annoying noise almost like a vibrating noise from engine, power on it goes, power off it goes, been there since rebuild, its not got worse after 500 miles, engine is solid, no smoke, no rattles, small end was changed, big end was good, the piston still on standard size, have a third gear whine, I can live with that, was thinking breather rotor from what I have read, any thoughts guys?
I have to say I am well pleased with the way the bike has turned out, I get so much pleasure from it even the commute to work is enjoyable including the 28 sets of traffic lights each way.
Cheers
Colin
PS .........looking for another bike to restore now, it has to be Matchy/Ajay for 2 simple reasons, the excellent JSL service and this website.
rex.webb

Broken primary chain

Post by rex.webb »

NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR CHAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF THE SIDE PLATES of the CHAIN ARE WORN ...... THIN ????????????
AS THEY MAY WELL HAVE BEEN !.
Your courting trouble using that chain.
REDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your BIKES !
r w webb
cbranni

Broken primary chain

Post by cbranni »

Just an update, new Regina chain arrived from JSL and fitted last weekend, a good price too, no more courting trouble now Rex..........thanks
Colin