what tank emblems are correct

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Brouchers used a lot of old artwork, they are the worst offendeds with errors.
We have original artwork where chandges can be seen to be made, but not everything has been changed on the old artwork of a previous years sales broucher.
This artwork is the original colour painted pictures, some with notes of changes made. Also stated are publications the picures were used for.
Use sales cat. pics with caution. Even parts lists have errors but are more reliable than pictures. If you look very closely at some sales cat pics it can be seen they have not bother to change many parts, they even show old type gear boxes. In early sales cats hand change is still show insted of foot change. Also remember a model year say for 1961 was Sept 1st 1960 to Aug 31st 1961. 1961 new models were on sale as from the November motor cycle show 1960.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Pictures taken at the works should be reliable but those posted by others are not. People assemble bikes long after they left the factory with what they think is correct or whatever they can find. It has taken me 25yrs to collect all the correct bits to build my 1961 G80TCS.

I believe all Typhoons were shipped to the US and they are scarce elsewhere. Living in Southern California, I have seen quite a few & still see some at events or museums.

Cheers, Don.
turfclubroad

Post by turfclubroad »

don, i did not realise that you had a 61 tcs aswell. 25 years? wow. The three gallon tanks, did they have transfers or badges?

thx

Wiebe
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I believe all CS/TCS singles left the factory with 2gal tanks & the larger ones were fitted by distributor or dealer. CS twins usually had 3gal tanks with badges & all the 3gal I've seen had them although some had the screw holes filled by someone to use transfers.

US versions of the CSR twins had chrome plated 3gal comp tanks, & speedo mounted on the fork, not in the headlamp shell for a racier look.

Cheers, Don.