deristricting

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
TCB

deristricting

Post by TCB »

hi all 1st off a BIG hello to everyone here on the forum. im a new member just joined minutes ago. have bought a AJS Supermoto JSM 125 2011 model. and was wondering if at all these bikes are restricted and if so how can i derestrict it to get a little more power. THANKS in advance
SPRIDDLER

deristricting

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums Andrew
Can't the dealer who supplied your new bike (you say it's a 2011) answer your questions? Poor show if he can't.
I only know about modern bikes from helping my sons through their learning curves on 125's, 250's and who now both have big modern Kawasakis, but I'll throw my 2 pennyworth into the ring...

Restriction is normally made to limit the power output to comply with the learner legal limit.
I am guessing but I doubt that your 125 exceeds this limit and therefore restriction should not be necessary.
However, I only know of two forms of restriction:
1) A constricting 'washer' in the inlet tract (manifold usually) which simply reduces the volume of fuel/air mixture that can enter th'engine, and...
2) In the case of my son's Kawasaki, a physical stop (metal plate) which prevents the throttle being opened fully. I know this because I took it out after the Kawasaki dealer quoted 70 quid to derestrict it.
I'm told that the Haynes manual for Chinese bikes covers most of these badged up Chinese bikes and it may refer to deristriction.
One of the other contributors to this 'Modern AJS' forum has the manual and may be able to tell you if you email/P.M him.
Keep an eye on chain adjustment - it seems they need adjustment within 500 or so miles.
Where are you located and where do you propose to get it serviced?

At the risk of appearing to be a conceited old phrt may I say that if you wanted "a little more power" from your new bike you'd have been better to get a new bike with a little more capacity to start with.
If you meddle with its standard set-up you'll be 'modifying' it and must advise your insurance company, who, of course will ramp up your premiums (or decline cover completely).Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 16 Jul 2011 10:39:42 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
TCB

deristricting

Post by TCB »

why thanks alot for all that SPRIDDLER. bought the bike cheap due to it being a cat d due to just needing plastics. bike is now mint and only coverd 600 miles. reason for buying is just wanted cheap transport to get too and from work to save fuel cost in my subaru impreza wrx/sti. im not expecting the bike to do 100mph or anything hahaha was just wondering if this perticular model was restricted and if so if i could unrestrict it to maybe unleash a little extra power. my location is dorset and il end up servicing the bike myself more than likely thanks again for ur help much apreciated.
SPRIDDLER

deristricting

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Understood.
I mentioned the chain adjustment since riding with a worn chain will soon knacker the sprockets.
I'd be interested to hear how it goes as there are differences of opinion () on here ref their reliability.
Good luck.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
TCB

deristricting

Post by TCB »

chain seems ok so far but will keep an eye on it thanks, as for engine reliability if i get any problems il just rip the engine out and MAKE another branded engine fit in its place 125cc of course ;) hahaha
bigwol

deristricting

Post by bigwol »

There is another way engines are restricted guys, the exhaust can have a restricting "washer" put in to stop the engine breathing so reducing the amount of fuel and therefore power. As Spriddler says in this case i doubt restriction was neccessary but google may come u pwith something?
It's all just riding motorbikes