Rear brake drum/sprocket slop

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Phil Diment

Post by Phil Diment »

Hi,
My 1954 G80 has full-width rear hubs with 5 metal pegs driving the rear brake drum/sprocket ; part number 021597 according to what's stamped on it).

I have the dreaded peg to hole slop (approximately 1/4" and holes worn oval, I assume from metal to metal contact over the years. I know there is an engineering solution to this issue but before I go down this route I'd like to ask whether new a drum/sprocket is completely unavailable as far as anyone knows? I don't really want to buy a new hub to do the "rubber" peg conversion.

Jampot spares do not list this part number but do list 021596 which sounds broadly similar but probably isn't.....

Many thanks,
Phil
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As far as I know, that wheel was the first full width rear hub for 1955 only. Maybe like the SR1 mag, a few late G80's got the wheel a bit earlier than the 350's.
I had such a wheel in my 55/G3LS. I brought it almost new in 1956. It was sloppy then, when almost new. min. snatch speed was much high, to eliminate a clonging sound from it. I am sure no one would had bothered reproducing a hub that only has a market for only one year. My present 55/G3LS has the 56 on. rear wheel, drum & sprocket fitted. When I first got this bike I wondered why it never clonged like my almost new one did back in 1956.
wilko

Post by wilko »

Show us a picture of the pieces apart. Is there enough room around the holes to overbore and simply fit some hard rubber or polymer plastic around the pegs? Even garden hose!
Phil Diment

Post by Phil Diment »

Many thanks for the information/ideas.

There doesn't seem to be enought metal left on the edge of the brake drum holes nearest to the hub to overbore without cutting into it; although this may not affect overall strength etc I feel, provided the holes aren't made too big. i'll talk to an engineering friend and see what he says

After reading a few more posts on the subject, I'm going to try turning the pegs 45 degrees and see if that improves the situation. If not, then consider overboring or if that's not possible; then get the rubber peg/hub a la post 56 conversion.

Cheers,
Phil