Chrome engine cases on a G3LS?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Jon Hardcastle

Post by Jon Hardcastle »

Hi folks,

New to the board, thanks for having me! Just picked up a 1957 Matchless G3LS in pieces that is mostly complete. This is my first Matchless, but I have owned other British bikes; The first thing I observed about the engine cases was that they were chrome plated (??) which seemed odd to me and troubling, as the chrome is bad and will need to be stripped off.

This surely couldn't have been stock? I was also informed that the GL served as a police bike in India (not sure if that could be verified. It would appear that it certainly may have been there, as the Tyres, carb and footpeg rubber are all Indian made. Thanks for any and all input,

Jon
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

How about some pictures?
I am sure that would help our luminaries,sadly I am not one of them.
Welcome to the club you will soon get used to the banter that passes between friends.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Jon Hardcastle

Post by Jon Hardcastle »

Hi Merlin, Thanks for the reply! I just posted a picture into the albums from my phone, but it looks like a 1-3 day wait for it to be approved. I will take some better ones of the chrome pieces in question...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Jon.
Chrome plated aluminium engine cases? I doubt it.
I discovered that my '54 G3LS was originally a police bike in Rhodesia by obtaining a dating cert from this club which holds all the existing factory records.
As regards the Indian made parts they could be replacement pattern parts since in the past 5 maybe 10 year India (and also China) has become the source of many pattern parts (of variable quality) for British bikes.
As Merlin says, a photo would help.
You can also get details of its 'as manufactured' serial nos and possibly the first owner - i.e. dealer or gov't dep't by contacting the Dating Officer. See under 'Club' above and choose 'Machine Dating' from the drop-down menu.
You can join the club online too for discounts on the dating service, parts from our own Spares Service, the Jampot magazine, adverts and lots more (as they say).
Not forgetting exposing yourself to the opportunity to have your leg pulled (or to pull those of others) on these infamous Forums.
How you'll laugh!Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 30 Jul 2011 3:18:13 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
nrbgarda

Post by nrbgarda »

[quote]
I was also informed that the GL served as a police bike in India (not sure if that could be verified.

I have not known of the Police using them...they used Royal Enfield Bullets 350cc. However the Armed Forces definitely did have the G3LS in service, along with BSA B31.s...This is from my childhood memories of 50 years ago so.........
Naozar R. Garda, Bangalore, India.
Jon Hardcastle

Post by Jon Hardcastle »

Thanks for the information!

Great group here...I will be joining the club, no worries there! More pics to follow...