Re-fitting the gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
StuBaker

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by StuBaker »

Can anyone help?
I'm at the stage of re-fitting the gearbox to my Model 14 CSR, everything is in palce and cleaned up nicely but can I get the holes on the plates to line up with the frame ... no.
Is there a special technique for getting everything lined up or is it brute force?
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by Rob Harknett »

I guess you have loosened all fixtures on the plates, if not then you will have a job.
Rob Harknett

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just a thought you mentioned frame. loosen any fittings that may stop you getting a little tollerence of movement.
StuBaker

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by StuBaker »

Yep, the plates are completely loose the trouble is I can't get the double ended studs back through the plates and the frame. Do I have to loosen off the engine too?
cbranni

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by cbranni »

How far out are the holes? if its half a hole use a podger through the top holes and force the plate down and slip the stud through the bottom hole.
Some I have done are very tight others seem to line up easily, luck of the draw I guess.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rob Harknett

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes loosen the bolts through the engine and plates. As stated above, perhaps an old bolt ground to a point would help, but not if the plates are tight on the egine, they wont move will they.
StuBaker

Re-fitting the gearbox

Post by StuBaker »

Success!!
I loosened all the frame studs, including the head steady and took the bike off its stand propping it up against the bench and a narrower bolt (podger ... I had to look that up!!) was all that was needed to get the holes in line.
Many thanks.