Availability of new twin cam gears.

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello
I'm about to refit a magneto in place of the 6V electronic ignition on my 1961 G12 CSR. Whilst it's apart I thought I might as well replace the crank, cam, intermediate and magneto drive gears. I can get the crank, intermediate and magneto gear from JSL but not the cam gears according to the website. Dad thinks that he replaced most of the gears on his G11 a several years ago including the cam gears. He thinks that the only one he couldn't get at the time was the crank gear. I will ring the club next week but can anyone suggest another supplier if they are out of stock?
Thanks
CAB
GSAX1

Post by GSAX1 »

Why would you want to replace the cam gears? I cannot imagine they are worn? According to the manufacturers these should "last for the lifetime of the engine" to quote the AMC chief designer .
Eric

Post by Eric »

Its true why replace them?

You would find that even if new gears were available they would be very noisy compared to the nicely run in highly polished ones you already have.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

To quote one of our sages:
"In most cases a part-worn original part will outlast a repro pattern part many times over: If it has already lasted 50 years it should have a good few miles left in it."
How many do you plan to ride each year?

If it ain't broke.......you might as well take yer Dad out for a beer instead of fixing it - as we Sussex Dad's say Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 13 Feb 2011 7:39:27 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
CAB

Post by CAB »

Hello
Dad replaced the ones on his G11 because they were a bit noisey, the new ones certainly made his bike quieter.
CAB