Matchless G2 queries

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ClaraBow

Matchless G2 queries

Post by ClaraBow »

Just bought a Matchless G2. It needs some work done to it. First off it has been sat for a couple of years in some fella's shed, the battery (cyclon sealed joby) is completely flat. I've looked around the internet for a replacement and this particular battery is pretty much the only one you can get for although I did stumble upon this:

http://alshobbies.com/shop/lookupstock.php?pc=38367

Should I go for that or just stick with getting another Cyclon battery?

Also, what's the best method for cleaning the tank out? Ribena with warm water, tank cure or vinegar?

Any help greatly appreciated.
wilko

Matchless G2 queries

Post by wilko »

Sometimes they will take a charge. Give it a boost charge for 20 minutes, then trickle it for a couple of hours. (me...tight?)
Janet

Matchless G2 queries

Post by Janet »

You can still get standard 6v batteries although they may not be in stock at all retailers who rarely keep stuff for old 6v systems.The original spec required a 6v 11Ah battery but I know lower capacities can be used even when running lights. The old refillable acid batteries need more maintenance to keep them topped up but they suffer less if they get overcharged, boiling rather than busting. Make sure the rest of the electrical system is well sorted. The battery you found is relatively cheap so may be worth a try.
ClaraBow

Matchless G2 queries

Post by ClaraBow »

Thanks for the swift replies :)

I bought a 6v 7ah battery as the 11ah one I found is too big for my tray.

I went to the local garage and they kindly filled her up with acid, the fella recommended a 24hr trickle charge? Is this a bit much?

Also, how do I double check which wire is +ve or -ve? Manual says brown is negative but I guessing the wiring has probably been varied over the bikes long history?
Rob Harknett

Matchless G2 queries

Post by Rob Harknett »

All you really need do is refer to the manual as to which wire goes to earth. Then look on the bike to see which colour wire is earthed, then connect that wire to the correct terminal on the battery.
To recharge cyclon battery's a trickle charger may not work, it needs a good boost to kick it in to start it charging. I have had totaly flat cyclon battery's, but don't have a high output charger. I switched it to 12v, then as soon as I saw the neadle move switched back to 6v , this worked, but when it went flat again it worked but did not hold a charge for long.
really these battery's should not be allowed to get low or flat. However, considering how well they hold their charge and the life span, you have had good value so just buy new again.
ClaraBow

Matchless G2 queries

Post by ClaraBow »

Thanks for the reply. I've bought a new 6v 7ah battery, how long should I trickle it for? It's been on the trickle charge for about 2.5 hours and the 100% charge LED on the charger has now lit up. I'm not sure what to do as the garage recommended a 24 hour trickle but at the same time I don't want to risk overcharging it.
Rob Harknett

Matchless G2 queries

Post by Rob Harknett »

Usualy the charger will kick in showing the charge rate, this usualy then starts to drop, when it drops back to zero its charged. The charger should not just keep on charging, so I do not think you could over charge the battery.
I guess you first checked acid level and removed the plugs while its charging plus other risks as read on intructions, which you should have, so should have read all the details about charging. As far as I know, its illegal to sell electrical products without the saftey instructions. ( unless you cut the plug off and sell as not working )
ClaraBow

Matchless G2 queries

Post by ClaraBow »

Thanks for the reply. Read through everything and the battery is charged with a voltmeter test showing it at 6.3 volts.

The wire that goes straight to a bolt on the frame is the earth wire which is positive as the manual states, but when I connect this to the postive terminal I get no reation from the ammeter but when quickly touched on the negative terminal the ammeter jumps to +12?
SPRIDDLER

Matchless G2 queries

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Firstly, new batteries are normally 'dry charged' and do not require charging before use. Any decent battery supplier will have provided the battery spec'n, max short circuit current etc and details of recommended charging regime.
Secondly, the ammeter is there to register the current which is flowing either into (+), or out of (-) the battery. If th'engine is not running and nothing is switched on there will be no current flowing and the ammeter won't move, other than perhaps an initial flicker as you touch the wire onto the battery.
(Obviously) the ammeter shouldn't show plus (+) anything unless th'engine is running.
I suggest you reconnect the battery how you had it when you got "no reaction from the ammeter" and switch the lights on. You should gt a substantial discharge (-) showing on the ammeter. This is correct.
You have a fuse fitted in one of the battery leads I hope?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'