Dynamo

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
BRobbo

Dynamo

Post by BRobbo »

I have just removed the dynamo from my 1948 M18 and noticed that the rod between the rear engine plates which anchors the dynamo clamping strap is badly bent due to over enthusiastic tightening.

I need to remove this rod for straightening and I think can do this by removing the nearside engine plate. But I can't tell if the rod is threaded into the plates or not. Can anyone advise me on this? thanks.

Barry
SPRIDDLER

Dynamo

Post by SPRIDDLER »

They all do that, Sir.
Not threaded, just spigots each end which locate in holes in th'engine plates.
You're welcome
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
BRobbo

Dynamo

Post by BRobbo »

Brilliant, thanks for the quick reply.

Got to see what's wrong with the dynamo now.
GOLDSTAR

Dynamo

Post by GOLDSTAR »

that small rod is a pain in the arse! unfortunately it goes through the mounting strap and needs to be of small diameter to do so, the strap needs to be tight to prevent the dynamo from rotating, there has to be some device to stop the dynamo wandering into the primary chain, the bloke who devised this devils brew must be laughing in his grave, it's a shame someone has'nt produced a more meaty rod and strap as an aftermarket improvement, most kind regards

ps as Sprids say's 'they all do that sir'Edited by - GOLDSTAR on 25 Feb 2012 6:13:41 PM
itma

Dynamo

Post by itma »

they are all right until they get over tightened, straightening them does no good.
replace it or make one out of a bit harder material.
best of all is to learn not to over tighten it, they do not need to be done up till they scream.