Clutch cable

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
masbroboy

Clutch cable

Post by masbroboy »

Hello I need a clutch cable for my 1965 AJS CSR 14, I have been in touch with a supplier that advertises that fit 1958-1963, was there a change or could this cable be fitted.

Regards
John
Jon
wilko

Clutch cable

Post by wilko »

Whatever you buy it won't fit unless you have the exact spec factory levers. Speaking from experience!
masbroboy

Clutch cable

Post by masbroboy »

Thanks for the reply Wilko , I have managed to repair it with a blowtorch and solder, it broke at the clutch lever end.
Jon
Rob Harknett

Clutch cable

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hope you remembered to drill/counterbore the nipple, splay out the wires & solder, so it does not pull off.
Rob Harknett

Clutch cable

Post by Rob Harknett »

PS. If a cable breaks, I usualy save all the nipples and fittings so these can be used to make, make to fit or repair new/old cables.
SPRIDDLER

Clutch cable

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Thanks for the reply Wilko , I have managed to repair it with a blowtorch and solder, it broke at the clutch lever end.

Measure it now, Dude - inner and outer lengths, also measure and note fittings/adjuster length (if fitted), photo it and order a spare!!

Next time it breaks (and it will, on a hillside in the rain) the fittings may scatter asunder...

Now, there's wisdom
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

Clutch cable

Post by itma »

I do hope you did not get the cable red hot? or it will break again soon.
cbranni

Clutch cable

Post by cbranni »

On the subject of cables, my clutch cable let me down after few hundred miles, the pear shape mazak nipple broke up, see photo..........the large part of the pear has voids and the smaller part has broken up completely, exposing broken strands
This part is made in UK so it says on box, I doubt it, I ordered 2 spares and the quality of the nipples on these was very poor, the flash is roughly ground off, cutting into strands, voids again in the casting.
This pear shape nipple is also used on front brake lever.................scary!!!

Hope these photos work!

"http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... Image2.jpg"

"http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... Image1.jpg"
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Clutch cable

Post by SPRIDDLER »

'Made in U.K.' (or Europe) seems to be a very flexible term.
Many products seem to made elsewhere and packed or 'finished' in Europe which entitles them to claim subsidies, avoid duty etc.
When I was in a dealers looking at the current Honda CBF 125 the literature claimed 'Made in Europe' but in fact it's produced in India and finally assembled (wheels, seat, battery) in one of the Eastern European countries according to the proprietor - Poland or Czech I think.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
wilko

Clutch cable

Post by wilko »

Forensic shots! Can you stand back a bit? I can't see for seeing!