Model 8 L/W Fork Bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Colin Oakley

Post by Colin Oakley »

Hi
I am a new member having just bought a long stored 1962 Model 8 350. It runs very well indeed and it is a pleasure to own. It was owned by Andy Tirenan in 2001 and has the buff log book " YSL 153 ".
Anyway the front bearings on the headstock are loose or no good. I have renovated BSA's and Enfields and changed the ball bearings with ease. The AJS headstock is not quite the same, are these bearings as easy to change as their English cousins, should I try adjustment first and filling up the grease nipple. The symptons were fork rattle on heavy front braking.
Thank you in anticipation.

Colin
Hockley, Essex
wilko

Post by wilko »

Easier. Having said that i've been too lazy to change mine for the last 5 years!
Ian5913

Post by Ian5913 »

If you have the teledraulic forks it is a fairly easy job with the right tools. You could try grease first but it is likely if you have rattle that they will have suffered wear and loss.

Ian
beesy

Post by beesy »

the model 8 should have teledralics, the bearings are quite easy to change, especially if you have a second pair of hands.

i can't remember the number of ball bearings there are, 27 in each race i think, but it's the usual hold them in place with grease and offer them up routine.