Engine breather pipe

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mirangi

Engine breather pipe

Post by mirangi »

1950 G80S - I am building this engine from bits and have the crankcase breather fitting and the little disc but I don't have the pipe that is fitted to the discharge side of the fitting.

Does anyone have a photo of this pipe fitted to the bike, i.e a photo of the primary drive side of the bike?

It would be great if this could be uploaded to the website or sent to my by PM.

Appreciate your help.

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Engine breather pipe

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve, as it sits behind the inner chaincase it's difficult to photograph.
Mine's just a brass union nut with about 2" of copper pipe to which is joined about 4" of rubber pipe hanging down to just below the chaincase.
If no-one has a pic of one in situ I have a spare somewhere in the shed and will photo it if/when I find it.

Later - sorry just been called away immediately for a couple of days so won't be able to rummage in t' shed. As you say, the others' posts should enable you to fudge something up.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 17 Jul 2012 8:29:48 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Engine breather pipe

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... 632-33.pdf
Steve go to the link above its a 1941 wd parts list go to page 33 ( actualy Page 31 in the book ) this shows oil pipes look at the breather pipe pt number STD 755 000755 for the new pt. no. This breather pipe was used for years and is probably what you want. Club spares dont appear to do it, but, having seen its shape, you may fashion one from a piece of pipe available.
The bit of rubber just carried oil futher away to avoid it going all over the rear of the bike.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 17 Jul 2012 10:34:20 AM
Mckorkins

Engine breather pipe

Post by Mckorkins »

Having had mine abroad recently, I think the union's thread is a standard BSP. I believe I have some of these unions and a bit of pipe left over from my old MG tinkering days, so if you're stuck...
mirangi

Engine breather pipe

Post by mirangi »

Thanks guys, I had not realised that it is actually behind the chaincase, I have not had this area assembled.

I already realised that it must not point upwards and now understand that it just points down at the ground.

I will make up something to do the job.

Thanks
Steve
iandusud

Engine breather pipe

Post by iandusud »

As McKorkins said it's a BSP fitting (1/4" I think). If you have any petrol tap fittings lying around you should be able to sort it out.

Ian
56G80S

Engine breather pipe

Post by 56G80S »

Serendipity strikes. I've just noticed on my Matchy that although there used to be a length of copper pipe that doesn't seem to be there any more, although the rest of the assembly is still intact.

Sure I've read other threads about this part of the AMCs before.

In them I recall that, as you mention, it's important not to have a length of rubber pipe that forms a "u" bend with the result that there's a reservoir of oil in the "u".

Good luck.

Johnny BEdited by - 56G80S on 18 Jul 2012 11:48:01 AM
Rob Harknett

Engine breather pipe

Post by Rob Harknett »

One guy asked if he should feed it into his oil tank . in an earlier thread about the breather pipe
SPRIDDLER

Engine breather pipe

Post by SPRIDDLER »

C/case breather pipe.
Yer tiz...
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mirangi

Engine breather pipe

Post by mirangi »

Spriddler,

Thanks for this, it as I expected.