Should I fit indicators?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Eric

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Eric »

Also they would not be far enough apart to tell left from right.

That's why the ones on arseys bike have stalks to extend the lights outward and create adequate separation.
Janet

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Janet »

quote:
whats the year of these regs Janet? kind regardsEdited by - GOLDSTAR on 11 Jan 2011 1:56:22 PM
1986. The later amendements have not related to this part. I don't know whether or not there was any previous legislation relating to retro-fitting stop lamps but that doesn't concern me.
arsey30

Should I fit indicators?

Post by arsey30 »

quote: The ones fitted to arseys bike are standard 1970s Triumph/BSA/ Norton Lucas units, or good repros.

All parts from Paul Goff 2 years ago, including the red warning light not shown on his site items.

Dave.
GOLDSTAR

Should I fit indicators?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

thanks Janet, researched 1986, appears to have been amended by the 1989 version and your quite right does appear to be retrospective, although its not stated and I could not find any explanatory notes on the enactment, but as I said before they still do'nt know their arses from their elbows, most kind regards
Eric

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Eric »

Most of our bikes did not have brake lights as standard but the regulations Janet detailed says: - "With some exceptions, vehicles used after 1st January 1936 must have a brake light even if it didn't when new." so it was retrospective when it was introduced.Edited by - Eric on 12 Jan 2011 10:29:40 PM
Gerard Harrison

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Brake lights and turns signals are nice fun things that add a marginal increase to the survival odds I have on the road in the greater NYC metro-area

The concern I have is the number of drivers who live in their own "reality bubble" where driving while texting or dialing their hand-held gadgets precludes the possibility they will see ANYTHING in front of them until they feel it

itma

Should I fit indicators?

Post by itma »

quote: The concern I have is the number of drivers who live in their own "reality bubble" where driving while texting or dialing their hand-held gadgets

Not driving Audis or BMW's over there too, are they?
Eric

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Eric »

I was recently run into my rear by a shopping trolley whilst I was shopping.

The excuse of the other shopping trolley driver was that she could not see me because the baby in the child seat was too high for he to see over the top.

I guess she would quite happily drive the car with some such similar obstruction e.g. Snow or Ice on the windscreen who really needs to see where they are going anyway?Edited by - Eric on 13 Jan 2011 3:12:30 PM
Gerard Harrison

Should I fit indicators?

Post by Gerard Harrison »

quote:
quote: The concern I have is the number of drivers who live in their own "reality bubble" where driving while texting or dialing their hand-held gadgets

Not driving Audis or BMW's over there too, are they?

Yes they are invariably high on the egregious offender list, but the worst are the soccer moms in their SUV's the size of school busses
greasemonkey62

Should I fit indicators?

Post by greasemonkey62 »

I remember an article in one of the bike mags. back in late 1960 early 1970 where a guy had made his own bike indicators that he had fastened to the back of the shoulder lapels of his leather riding jacket and plugged them in with something that resembled a jack plug !!!
They looked great fun but for some reason they never caught on, cannot understand why !!!!!!!