More fork problems

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Colin Oakley

More fork problems

Post by Colin Oakley »

Hi Chaps
Just been out on the L/W 350 with another member. Whilst eating our bacon rolls I noticed that my forks have bottomed out, they are locked solid, will not move either way. Any ideas would be nice.

Regards Colin
saltbox alf
Deceased

More fork problems

Post by saltbox alf »

Did you hit a pot hole or somthing? Could be the stauntions stuck in the leg bushes, if you have a bit of surface corrosion on the stauntion above normal travel and you bottomed out it might be enough to lock em up.had it happen on a Norton of mine years ago, , two chaps to lift the front and bounced it a few times and it let go. How ever there could be other reasons for it to lock up. bent damper rod etc
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Ian5913

More fork problems

Post by Ian5913 »

Hi I would Try and loosen every thing off, wheels, brakes bottom yoke bolts steering your nuts at the top and lower when all loose rock bike back wards and forwards up and down apply brakes one at a time whilst you rock it and make sure you have light oil in the fork tubes. If this frees it off check all alignments and assembly are correct when you do it all back up. If not it will be a strip down as something is not right internally.

Ian
Ozmadman

More fork problems

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
If not it will be a strip down as something is not right internally.
Ian

I have just stripped down and re-built my forks and have one final hurdle to cross! Does anyone know the thread type (BSF or BSC etc)on the damper rods only for some reason the new stainless top nut thread (where the damper rod screws into)seems to be different to the rod thread?? ie: it jams up after a couple of turns. The old nuts screw on fine so either I have to re thread the nut or the rods but not sure which or maybe the nut threads just need a tap run down them???

Many thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
DWS

More fork problems

Post by DWS »

quote: it jams up after a couple of turns

Have you used any copperslip on the threads? If not that may well be your problem, Stainless Steel threads always need lubrication and will bind up if you do not lubricate them, copperslip is best. I'm pretty sure that will be your problem.Edited by - DWS on 15 Jun 2012 08:35:32 AM
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Rob Harknett

More fork problems

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not unusual to pick up some fittings that need a tap run through them old threads well cleaned I take it.
Ozmadman

More fork problems

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Not unusual to pick up some fittings that need a tap run through them old threads well cleaned I take it.

Thanks for your help guys but apart from getting a 5/16" BSC(I have determined by trial and error that they are BSC) tap and die to run through the threads I am lost. What I can't understand is this.. a 5/16" BSC set screw screws into the top nut thread, a 5/16" BSC nut screws onto the set screw AND the damper rod thread but the damper rod only screws about two threads into both top nuts before they jam up solid and it's not just a bit tight either!! I have clamped the rods into a wooden vice as hard as I dare but cannot wind the nut onto the rod much further before the rod turns!! it's almost like the wrong thread but it can't be as the BSC screw goes in there easily??? And both screws and nuts are brand new (I got them purely for my trial and error test)as are both top nuts, beats me!!! it's driving me nuts (excuse the pun)and it's stopping me finishing off my fork rebuild and bike!!

Thanks again

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
cbranni

More fork problems

Post by cbranni »

Sent you a pm Paul
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

More fork problems

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Whilst eating our bacon rolls I noticed that my forks have bottomed out. Any ideas would be nice.

Try a green salad instead?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
DWS

More fork problems

Post by DWS »

quote: they jam up solid and it's not just a bit tight either!! I have clamped the rods into a wooden vice as hard as I dare but cannot wind the nut onto the rod much further before the it's almost like the wrong thread but it can't be as the BSC screw goes in there easily???

You said the new nuts were Stainless Steel - Have you applied Copperslip to the threads? By personal experience, if you don't use Copperslip on Stainless Steel threads they will jam up tight after a few turns and it can be very difficult to get them off again - Trust Me Edited by - DWS on 17 Jun 2012 12:48:43 PM
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register