poor running when hot

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ian5913

poor running when hot

Post by Ian5913 »

As 1608 states check the simple things first. I was only trying to answer your question and not to be alarmist apologies if I came across that way. You may like to try a new spark plug (Or change of plug for a different one of the right type) A faulty plug can give also these symptoms and can do this when warm and not cold. (Don't ask me how I know!)

Ian
crashtestdummy

poor running when hot

Post by crashtestdummy »

Hi guys, new to this site but regards your problems. Go to a base setting regarding air mixture on the carb ignition advance etc. make sure the plug is good and gapped correctly. Check valve clearances and then if available to you do a leak down test, this will reveal any problems with valves without the need to strip the engine down, I know the latter is a little modern for you guys but it does reveal a lot. Most overheating problems with any engine come down to fuel air mixture, poor timing or valve clearances. Hope this helps.
crashtestdummy

poor running when hot

Post by crashtestdummy »

Just read back through the start of this post and would suggest that you check the operation of your choke. If it starts ok on choke and then runs rough when warm I had a similar problem on my G3 and it was caused by the choke not shutting off. It overheated banged and popped and lost power.

poor running when hot

Post by 1608 »

bernie doesn't mention over heating being a problem. Simply that when normal running temp reachhen problems manifest. Its a hot running problem that can be caused by many things.
bernie 600

poor running when hot

Post by bernie 600 »

Thank you all ! I will indeed go back to basics does anyone know the correct plug for this bike I may have the wrong one!! And yes good compression when up to temp,and behaving badly. Iwould say that the bike does not overheat.

poor running when hot

Post by 1608 »

Check and re-place one item at a time as appropriate.This way you will know what has cured the problem. Start with the plug. Check points gap and contacts condition. Check and replace coil and condensor if found faulty.Timing is probably OK if the bike starts and behaves until it gets hot. Check that the carb is not flooding, choke is off and the needle is in correct position.As an after thought, check that the head gasket is not leaking!
Can't help with plug type, but I'm sure somebody else will.