Old tyres

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Merlin

Old tyres

Post by Merlin »

You had me worried for a moment Rob.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Rob Harknett

Old tyres

Post by Rob Harknett »

You would be Stuart if you knew I was mixing 2012 air with 1930's air in my inner tubes.
rex.webb

Old tyres

Post by rex.webb »

I need a bike that will stick to the road like glue, stop in an instant, not dip a spot of oil, go like the wind, quiet running, high revving and speed, no vibration, feel like riding on a cushion of air. See for miles in the dark etc etc etc. I know just what to do, stick a couple of Matchless badges on a brand new bike.

NOW !!!!!!!!!!! there is a TALKING point ?
Which NEW BIKE would it be ?.
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your

(NEW)

Bike or Scooter .
r w webb
Rob Harknett

Old tyres

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its what you need to do If you want any of that from an old bike Rex. If any of that is expected from anyone, of our old bikes,
why did the buy an AJS or Matchless.
Merlin

Old tyres

Post by Merlin »

I bought mine because I can think about as fast as it can go not like these modern flying machines.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Rob Harknett

Old tyres

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have only ever brought one modern bike, it was just 9 months old when I brought it.
If I fancy a ride on a bike thats the one I choose to ride. I've never regreted buying that modern bike ...... in the springtime of 1956.
Colin F

Old tyres

Post by Colin F »

I bought one new bike (In 1977) an Enfield India, just as they started importing them, quality control was crap, parts mis machined not hardened etc. Got rid of that and got OAF, been riding that same bike for 33 years!
Wumpletoad

Old tyres

Post by Wumpletoad »

quote:
I bought one new bike (In 1977) an Enfield India, just as they started importing them, quality control was crap, parts mis machined not hardened etc. Got rid of that and got OAF, been riding that same bike for 33 years!

Despite getting on a bit, I do try to keep up but this one has me lost.

When I had a better grip on things, OAF made large commercial vehicles in Vienna. The company's full title was Oestereiche Automobil Fabrik Graeff und Stift and it was a wholly-owned subsidiary of MAN (Maschinenfabrik Augsburg Nurnburg) based in Munich. Graeff & Stift used to make high quality motor cars and it was in one of these that Archduke Ferdinand was shot, thus precipitating the start of the First World War. Norra lotta people know that.

Did the outcome of this conflict so reduce the circumstances of these venerable manufacturers that they were obliged to produce motorcycles?
Malleon

Old tyres

Post by Malleon »

I thought that OAF was the registration lettering, not a comment on the manufacturer's character.....
tomshayes

Old tyres

Post by tomshayes »

Nice one Rob
Tom Hayes (Kent)