G80 oil pump

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
merv239

G80 oil pump

Post by merv239 »

Hey there, I seem to have a problem with the oil pump on my 1961 G80. It is filling the sump and not returning the oil. Is there a number of things can be wrong here?
wilko

G80 oil pump

Post by wilko »

Yes.
Don Madden

G80 oil pump

Post by Don Madden »

Posibilities are air leak at rear pump cover plate & obstruction in convoluted return oil drillings. Cheers, Don.
en7jos

G80 oil pump

Post by en7jos »

Hi Mervyn, welcome to the forum.

Right, get yourself a cup of tea, make your self comfortable and get ready for a good few hours of reading! You'll find lots of suggestions, possibilties, tips and clues in the forum archive, in addition to the suggestions Don made above.

Click on "Forum" >> "Search" in the headings across the top of the page, or click here. Try searching for something like 'oil pump' and it will bring up many threads for you to sift through. Because of the many possibilities you'll probably need to do some investigating and provide a little more info before anyone can offer any real suggestions here.

Keep us posted how you get on, good luck!

James :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
merv239

G80 oil pump

Post by merv239 »

Thanks lads! Will do a bit more research both on the forum and with the bike. Just wanted to ask incase it might of been a common problem. Thanks again.
SPRIDDLER

G80 oil pump

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Mervyn.
It would help to know how long you've had the bike, whether the oil's ever been returning o.k. or whether the problem has only just arisen.
What tells you the oil's not returning? It may be what's known as 'Wet sumping' which is covered in topics available if you use the 'Forums' 'Search Forums' facility.
Had you done anything to the engine/oil tank/pipes/filter etc. immediately beforehand?
If you're that way inclined, here is a graphic showing how the oil system and pump works:
http://members.ziggo.nl/fxkuyl/plaatjes/pompklaar.gif
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rex.webb

G80 oil pump

Post by rex.webb »

Hours of FUN ? Watching this PUMPING !!!!!
r w webb
merv239

G80 oil pump

Post by merv239 »

Well I stripped the pump out last night and felt a slight blockage in the return pipe from the sump, the pump looks grand and there is no sign of air or oil escaping from the cap at the return end of the pump, so I gave it all a good clean out with brake cleaner and air and fingers crossed it will have relieved the problem. I have had the bike for around 6 months and my first vintage bike of my own. It only started to wer sump the other night that I know of, but so extreme of the non return of oil was that oil was coming from everywhere it could escape. I am no motorbike mechanic but have had modern bikes since no age. Mxer
merv239

G80 oil pump

Post by merv239 »

Got the old lady back together and she is returning oil a treat! Thank goodness as we set off for the Irish rally in Killarney on Sunday! Didn't fancy stripping her to the bone before Sunday! Thanks for everyone's comments and help. I will have to post some pics at some point, as we have a couple of interesting bikes gathered up ie. a Cheney triumph prepared by and for bud ekin and a drino miller built/ modified g80 matchless. (goes like the clappers). Thanks again!
MikeM.

G80 oil pump

Post by MikeM. »

Look out for Luky on her Model 16 while you are there