Expiring leccy parts

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
paul knapp

Expiring leccy parts

Post by paul knapp »

Rob,..... it's generally accepted as being good practice after initially filling a new dry lead/acid battery to let it settle for a while then give it a gentle charge for several hours before putting any load on it. This apparently brings it up to full charge and will enable it to have a longer service life.
I have read this on the fitting instructions on better quality batterys I have bought over the years.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

bjork

Expiring leccy parts

Post by bjork »

quote:

Anyone heard of a electronic replacemet magneto. Last night a mate mentioned that he thought they were making a replacement modern electronics look alike mag nowadays aswell.
Edited by - z1100r on 23 Aug 2012 10:57:53 AM

Hi there, the most successful modern electronic mag replacement is the one done by BTH. I have one on my '49 G80 and also did the test mileage on the prototypes. It is as reassuringly expensive as the other types, but in my opinion looks better and needs no batteries-just like the originals.
On the other hand, getting your old mag rebuilt by someone good like Tony Cooper will also give excellent results and cost half as much...your money, you're paying etc
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

Expiring leccy parts

Post by bjork »

As for checking your modern regulator for static current draw, it is just the same as for the old money types. Connect a suitable measuring device into the battery lead and check for current being drawn with everything switched off. Even a cheap DMM is up to this.
Rob Harknett

Expiring leccy parts

Post by Rob Harknett »

Thanks Paul, That is what I did, althought I did test lights etc on my bike so I could get on with the work making contacts good, while the battery had its charge to full power.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 23 Aug 2012 2:54:34 PM
z1100r

Expiring leccy parts

Post by z1100r »

Wow, they are pricey things. Think I will check out the magneto myself first. Its suposed to have been sent away for rebuilding sometime in the 90's (at great expense), and bike has done not very much since. So maybe a quick check over/service will have it back to being reliable.

Are Magentos known for hot starting problems..??
GOLDSTAR

Expiring leccy parts

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Yes,!
Should you seek an alternative mag man,
there is a chap down in Sussex, Steve ? surname escapes me , one of the Sussex lads will come up with it I'm sure, who took over rebuilding mags from the wizard Tony Holder, I have met him he rides a Henderson X a very knowlegeable chap, he is as good as Tony was and will probablly star in the next Harry Potter film kind regards
bjork

Expiring leccy parts

Post by bjork »

Gareth, as you're in Coventry you'll find it hard to beat Tony Cooper for price, quality of work and sheer convenience, he's not far from you either. Traditional mags can be prone to wilting in the heat, modern condensers etc should be able to deal with it better. *Modern electronics do cost a lot* but then if Lucas still made our mags they would be comparable too. You do get what you pay for here, no heat issues, no worries about damp, no servicing needed just modern fit and forget to give you more time to worry about other stuff or even get some good mileage under the wheels

What I should have said is the modern mags cost a lot-the electronic components don't cost much-the cost comes from casting bodies, machining,development and testing etc etc.Edited by - bjork on 24 Aug 2012 12:53:18 PM
GOLDSTAR

Expiring leccy parts

Post by GOLDSTAR »

just crossed my mind, Groilly, Bill Brown amd his chum do a replacement condensor thingermejig for about £14 not even sure you have to take the old one out, may be worth researching, 'spect Groilly sensing a sale will tell you a lot more if he picks up this thread, kind regards
ianselva

Expiring leccy parts

Post by ianselva »

I'm pretty sure you need to disconnect the old condenser, which will involve a certain amount of dismantling, but save you the cost of a rewind.

Ian
GOLDSTAR

Expiring leccy parts

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Ianselva. I have a feeling your correct, I've pm'd Groilly asking him to advise on this post, have to wait and see, kind regards