Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
strider

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by strider »

According to "The book of the AJS Singles 1945-56", the dynamo is removed by slacking of the gearbox adjustment and swinging it to the rear, and sliding the dynamo out to the off side.
But on the AJS there is no magneto in the way.
Is it easy enogh to get at the dynamo clamp without disturbing the Magneto on the G80, or is it just easier to remove carb and magneto to get at the dynamo?
I have already detatched the dynamo chain & sprocket.
Rob Harknett

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

For 1947, having got as far as getting the dynamo sprocket off, all you should need to do is " slacken" of the clamp bolts to remove the dynamo
strider

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by strider »

Thanks Rob. I'll try that.
Rob Harknett

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note when refitting the dynamo shaft is or is on my bikes, off centre. so can be rotated to fit the chain then rotate to tighten & clamped. This may alter the setting, so try again guessing how much it will alter when tightend to get the chain tension correct.
strider

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by strider »

Yep! It came out Ok. The only bit that I didn't reckon on was the bent metal strip, screwed to the dynamo body, between the engine plates, presumably to ensure correct alignment for the drive chain.
A damn good clean of the necessary area revealed all!
Rob Harknett

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

correct about the strip, I almost mentioned it but did not.
Assume all the correct parts held the sprocket on , in particular and in good condition the locking spring that goes on the special nut last, locking tab washer it holds on.
If you are checking a 1947 parts list you will see, in order they go on, washer plain pt. no. STD10, nut STD 611, washer locking STD 164, ring locking STD 708, if you need to order these parts from club spares, covert those numbers to new pt. no. by deleting the STD prefix then prefix with enough zero's to make a 6 digit number.
strider

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by strider »

Thanks Rob, but I'm replacing the dynamo with an Alton. It has a parallel shaft and a key.
Rob Harknett

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't know about those Peter, the original dynamo has a woodruff key also tappered as you may well know. What prevents the nut coming off the Alton? also has it a stop tab.
Rob Harknett

Removing '47 G80 dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have just read the Alton thread. Sprocket is held on with allen screw. Nothing to stop it working loose?
Just a note on the insurance bit, mods or extras not declared would not be covered and may invalid insurance. My mods and extra's declared are stated on my insurance. If new law outlaws non standard parts here no way out but to comply with the law. So again even if the insurance are OK with a mod, your machine would not be road legal.