Leaking Timing Gear cover

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

The timing gear cover, worked lose and started leaking oil where it joins the crankcase on my '52 G80. I found one of the five 1/4 threads ( in the c.case)were stripped. Assuming I re-coil this one and any other dodgy threads will this solve the problem or should I switch to allen keys rather then cheese heads or use Locktite? Advice from somebody who has experience with this problem appreciated.
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

the problem with allen screws is that you can wind them up so tight that you keep on stripping the threads & the metal can crush under the head

Post by 1608 »

If the threads are fine like the ones on the twins, then the screw gains a lot of torque. And as already stated Allen screws just tend to encourage over tightening. Put together properly I'd have thought cheese heads are more than adequate. Its only leaked because somebody has over tightened it and stripped the threads in the first place.
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for the advice- I'll clean every thing up get some new cheese heads and re-assemble and see how it goes before I try anything else.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The timing case screws on my 1963 G80CS engine would work loose every time I used it, even when setting them with an impact driver. I had to resort to screw holding Loc-tite, the weakest type, which works well. Cheers, Don.