G5 Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
colinlinden

G5 Gearbox

Post by colinlinden »

Hi everyone, I am new to the classic bike scene & after a short search for a bike I came across a 1960 Matchless G5.
If I may, I'd like to ask for a little help.
The bike is running well apart from the gear box. It jumps out of top gear at exactly 60mph.
After searching the site I came across the workshop instruction manual, inside I read that this is a common fault on early gear boxs & gives the following replacement parts.

Sleeve Gear part no. 044075
Sliding Gear part no. 044076

My question is, are these replacement parts still avalible today?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I have searched the forum & could not find an answer.

Thankyou in advance for any help or advice you can give to a novice.
Colin.
Matchless_Mayhem

G5 Gearbox

Post by Matchless_Mayhem »

Hi Colin

Try a search through the Club Spares Scheme:

CLUB > SPARES SCHEME > SPARES LISTING

Good luck.
Who, me!?
cbranni

G5 Gearbox

Post by cbranni »

Hi Colin and welcome to the club, your G5 must be going well ............60??? and jumps out of top gear, maybe its telling you something
Seriously.......you are on the right track.........what number is your gearbox?, they were modified after number 2500, so if your gearbox is before you may need to do the mod, if its after 2500 have a look at the plunger for wear or damage and the spring for weakness.
Let us know what you find,

Colin
Edited by - cbranni on 22 Oct 2012 11:18:48 PM
only dead fish go with the flow
colinlinden

G5 Gearbox

Post by colinlinden »

Hi Matchless_Mayhem & cbranni, thankyou for responding so quickly.
I have searched the club parts catalogue & online parts service but can't find these part No's. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has come across this problem + how they delt with it.
No I haven't checked the gearbox number yet, I will do this tomorrow evening (thanks for that tip)
Am I expecting too much from the old girl + pushing her too hard
cbranni

G5 Gearbox

Post by cbranni »

quote: Am I expecting too much from the old girl + pushing her too hard

Well the old girl is 50 years old, listen to her, does she sound happy at 60 mph, I know mine wouldn't be.
only dead fish go with the flow
colinlinden

G5 Gearbox

Post by colinlinden »

Bike doesn't sound like im over reving it too much at 60mph. (it sounds quite happy at 55mph) I think I read somewhere that the top speed was 80mph.
The gearbox number is, M 1933
So its looking like an early box.
Mckorkins

G5 Gearbox

Post by Mckorkins »

I had just over 70 (indicated) out of my M18 a little while ago. Noisy, yes, but gear jumping no. She can take though - if only in small doses!
bigwol

G5 Gearbox

Post by bigwol »

Bit of difference from your M18 500 to a G5 350 lightweight though Mac.
My M16 is working really hard at 60 and to be honest harder than i'd want to push it. If you are used to modern bikes and the way they rev Colin yes you may be expecting a bit too much of the old girl.
Still shouldnt jump out of gear though.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Ian5913

G5 Gearbox

Post by Ian5913 »

Before we scupper the thread fully with talk of top speeds and daring do. The 350 is capable of 60 quite easily. But how it handles it is more to do with load weight and gearing and wind direction.

With regards to the gearbox mod - try Russels (Almost said Hamrax) or think about a full gearbox for spares from one of the breaker types company's - It can be hard to pull together 350 spares of this nature as they are less frequent to there equally capable if slightly smaller engine 250's but they are quite a rewarding motorcycle.

Now a 350 lightweight doing 80mph - on those brakes.........

Best wishes
Ian
Rob Harknett

G5 Gearbox

Post by Rob Harknett »

You could try AMC classic spares if you want to chance finding a better gearbox or used parts.