Is this a 350?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
bunners

Is this a 350?

Post by bunners »

Morning All

This was on fleebay advertised as a 1960 350? can any of you knowledgable people confirm this. I thought it looks more like a 250.
It has been sold but may still be available if the buyer does not come up with the readies soon.
Last edited by bunners on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Stuoyb

Re: Is this a 350?

Post by Stuoyb »

Could well have started life as a Model 8, the engine, frame & tank look as though they are correct but everything else is just a collection of "bits made to fit".
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I agree with what Stuart said, plus the forks look correct, but as for the rest Lord knows, are the hubs Honda, its been listed on ebay at least four or five times by the same seller, it started off at silly money with no bids at all, and finally sold with one bid.
I think its a 350 engine counting the fins I can see, just hope its a 350 frame not a 250 as I am led to believe you can't get the rocker box off 350 engine in a 250 frame without dropping the engine.
only dead fish go with the flow
bunners

Post by bunners »

So, if I read the replies correctly most of the important bits are there. just wheels and the odd bit of tinware to source, It does have a V5 so thats a bonus.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Ted, if the buyer has backed out for what ever reason offer the seller £500 to start with, and work up if you have to, he has been trying to sell this for long time. As you say some tinware, wheels and exhaust system etc......... theres always lots of stuff on ebay, at the moment its an ugly duckling but with some work I'm sure you could turn it into a swan.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
bunners

Post by bunners »

Hi Colin
Your right it is an ugly duckling, but I do like a challenge, that was the sum I had in mind. All it needs is some TLC. I was thinking along the lines of the Matchless in the calender style wise, the one with the very "cheeky" model, if original bits were found to be ellusive. I once purchased an 1965 BSA A50 from this person,and she was very nice to deal with, cooked me a full English on a cold frosty morning, lovely.
crawsue

Post by crawsue »

Check very carefuly that it is a 350 frame, the rocker box does come off with persuaion, but the 'head wont clear the studs before fouling on the top frame rail. £500 seems over the top for such a mongrel.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?