sticking throttle

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: sticking throttle

Post by Ozmadman »

rex.webb wrote:Sorry ?.
I am sure the Needle has no bearing on things when ticking over ?.
I know, just talking generally, the bike seems to be running rich as the exhaust is black and sooty even after a longish run. The tick over thing is another issue altogether
1608 wrote: May just be a simple case of flooding, hence running rich and easy to start without the choke. Check that float is cutting fuel off and no fibre wash under the float needle housing. Check correct needle and position.Carry out carb adjustments ie idle mixture screw and throttle stop screw ( lowered ). I exchanged my plastic float for a brass one as it kept sticking.
Not flooding, fuel level correct, no washer under housing(loads of clearance above the float) brass float (monobloc) but will play around with the throttle and air screws once I take it out again and get it warm. Just a small point, previously when I originally adjusted the idle screw to get the fastest tick over I got a lot spitting back through the carb when I closed the throttle to slow down. I was advised to try screwing in the idle screw a 1/4 of a turn as the spitting was caused by too weak a mixture, this did cure the spitting so the screw has remained in that position so maybe that's wrong now?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed

Post by 1608 »

Remember that the idle screw is just that, it controls the idle mixture and the very initial throttle opening when starting off. The rich running, as when on a run is nil to do with the idle screw/jet. The rich running may be caused by worn needle jet or needle. Is the needle in correct position.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

1608 wrote:The rich running, as when on a run is nil to do with the idle screw/jet. The rich running may be caused by worn needle jet or needle. Is the needle in correct position.
Hi the needle and jet are of the correct type and both brand new. The needle is one notch down(weaker) from the central position

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
briansutlieff

Post by briansutlieff »

Hi Ozmadman. Check that the carb is not overtightened to the engine and deforming the carb body when hot. Strange I know but backing off the nuts a quarter of a turn can sometimes stop a sticking slide. Not sure about the running rich though. Brian.
Last edited by briansutlieff on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Maybe someone in your section could lend you another carb to try, if it's not too far to travel to collect it?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Try running it without the belmouth then when its hot you can watch the slide in action.
Peter W

Post by 1608 »

Paul, if you get the bike over to Burnham I have a spare carb you can try and I'm sure we'll get it sorted.

Post by 1608 »

Seems you just can't help some people!
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Could be he can no longer post on the forum.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MikeM. wrote:Could be he can no longer post on the forum.
Membership subs are a better investment than unnecessarily buying a new carb..... ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'