59' model 14 front wheel spindle Q:

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
sqweaka

59' model 14 front wheel spindle Q:

Post by sqweaka »

can any kind person tell me if the spacer on this spindle should slide off or is it machined as past of the spindle? the bike ive just bought, the wheel is not central inbetween the forks.

Rob Harknett

Re: 59' model 14 front wheel spindle Q:

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you actualy assembled the wheel and found it not central, or are you just looking at the spindle, which has more space to one side as thats where the brake drum goes.
sqweaka

Post by sqweaka »

hi, no the wheel as was fitted to the bike and it was off centre... but i didnt take a picture then, ive then stripped it to see how it could be adjusted! but looking at that spindle, i cant see how i can adjust it, to get the wheel in the centre... if as im guessing that the wider part of the spindle is actualy a bearing spacer tube that has seized to the spindle, if so it would be easy enough to machine of the tube and make a new one, but i dont want to do that to spindle yet and find out i was wrong and some other issue is the problem.. ie wrong spacers etc been fitted

hope all that makes sence and thanks for trying to help a novice builder!
sqweaka

Post by sqweaka »

i cant find an edit button to add more pic's to help ID what i have so ill add them here

pics shoing everything ive removed... one of the bearings and its seals is still in the hub, also there does'nt seem to be a felt washer in the side ive removed!

sqweaka

Post by sqweaka »

i think ive worked it out for myself... the hub/brake drum is correctly fitted (although could someone comment on the felt washers please) what i think has been done is the wheel has been laced up with a new stainless rim and spokes but i think it should have been built with some offset to allow for the drum fitting in on one side! does that sound about right?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

There is an offset in the front wheel but I cant remember how much, sorry, assemble the hub fit it back in the forks, the rim should be centre, if its not slacken each nipple half a turn on the smaller side then tighten each nipple half a turn on the large side, keep doing this until the rim sits in middle of forks, then with a pointer check its running true in both axis and adjust accordingly. Its good to check the run out before you adjust anything, just to see how accurate the build was, and don't worry too much about the welded joint, that will be all over the place unless the rim was made by Devon Rim who roll the rim again after welding.

Useful links
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... ke-wheels/

http://www.nocnsw.org.au/technical/spok ... l-building

Ps always start any adjustment from the valve hole, then you know where you are

Colin

PPs I've just checked an old lightweight wheel I have in the attic and the outside of the brake drum is in line with the outside edge of the rim, don't know if this is correct but its a start for you, and that spindle don't look right to me, lightweight spindle is like a bolt, you slacken the nut on one side, remove it, and then pull the spindle out from the other side, and remove the wheel, have a look in the spares book or manual, you will see the difference.
only dead fish go with the flow
sqweaka

Post by sqweaka »

thanks for that colin, ill give that a go.. just so im sure your saying if i lay a stright edge accross the hub with the brake shoes side removed or inplace? it should be touching the outer rim... as a guide
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Yes, brake shoes removed, straight edge accross rim, the outer edge of brake drum should be inline
only dead fish go with the flow
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Page 38 of the manual shows all the spacers and the order you need them in. Looks a bit like you have the spindle for the later forks.
Peter W
sqweaka

Post by sqweaka »

SideValve wrote:Page 38 of the manual shows all the spacers and the order you need them in. Looks a bit like you have the spindle for the later forks.

p38 of which manual? can you post the diagram here please? the manual i have has a exploded view but its not to clear... to me enyway!

ian