Model/type 250 lightweight

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
nightshade

Model/type 250 lightweight

Post by nightshade »

Hi
I too am a new beginner to AJS and having bought what I was told was a type 14 I am a bit flummoxed !!
All the bikes I have seen to date are dry sump , with seperate oil tank , this one sealed engine , no oil outlets , Oil seems to go straight in to main engine and stays there ......... Just what have I bought ... Oh yes it is badged on casing ajs ,,, is a single ,, and sounds nice when started !!

Frank
Stuoyb

Re: Model/type 250 lightweight

Post by Stuoyb »

What you have is correct.
The oil is circulated from an oil tank mounted on the side of the crankcase and hidden by the alloy engine cover.
The engine is not unit construction as the gearbox is a separate part clamped to the back of the engine.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Don't panic.............. you bought what it says on the tin......AJS Model 14 250cc lightweight, the oil tank is part of the engine, but only holds 2 1/2 pints so keep it topped up, works the same as other bikes with dry sump, there are loads of articles on here and on other sites to keep you going in reading matter for weeks.
First thing buy a workshop manual and spares book, they are a good bike, but have their quirks, you will soon find your way around it.
Oh and welcome to the club, and enjoy the bike

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
nightshade

Post by nightshade »

Thank you both for your express delivery of my query ,,,,,,,,,,, I expected to wait days !!!!
Thanks also for the good wishes
keep riding safely ................
frank (with no tank )
Janet

Post by Janet »

nightshade wrote: Oil seems to go straight in to main engine and stays there
Show off.

To add to the previous information and maybe prevent a future confusion, the oil tank isn't like on other bikes. You won't find a complete 'can'. What it has is an L-shaped domed piece that bolts onto the side of the crankcase, thus forming the oil tank. This is cunningly concealed behind the cover low down on the rhs of the engine and gearbox.

Having seen that your bike is a 1964, just a warning that it is likely to be a CSR, in which case there are some differences from the earlier Model 14 that may affect what spares you may require.
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Owners manual and various workshop manuals are easily available for no cost from Christian's archive. No need to fork out for anything. Good luck with the 14...there's a massive amount of info on the Lightweights on the Forum here.

Al
Janet

Post by Janet »

cbranni wrote:Don't panic.............. you bought what it says on the tin......AJS Model 14 250cc lightweight, the oil tank is part of the engine, but only holds 2 1/2 pints so keep it topped up,
More importantly, the gearbox takes 3 pints and, while a lowish level of oil in the engine won't kill it, a low level in the gearbox won't make it very happy. The mechanicals are at the top so a low level means they get no lubrication.

Edit: Speeling mistook.
Last edited by Janet on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Well said Janet, and may I say what a pleasure it was to read your article in the Jampot mag

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Creep ! Yet I agree with your appreciation.
Best regards.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Thank you kind sirs. Image Unfortunately, the incompetence increases in future episodes. Image