Petrol taps

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Janet

Petrol taps

Post by Janet »

The petrol taps on my 1964 G2 CSR are leaking. I decided to buy some new ones but don't understand the sizes. However, I thought that if I explained my problem the lovely people at Jampot spares would be able to advise and assist which they did but, unfortunately the taps they said would fit are too big to screw into the holes in my tank. I had mentioned that I thought they may be smaller than on other tanks.

Now, my dilemma is this. The taps I was sent are listed as ¼" x ¼", which seem to be the same thread and, presumably, bore doe the inlet and outlet of the tap. THere is one listed in the spares that says 1/8" X 1/4". Assuming that my taps are 1/8" at the top, they do not appear to be 1/4" at the bottom. The outside thread diameter is smaller than the 1/4" on the new tap but greater than that on the top of my own that screws into the tank. Perhaps the bottom doesn't matter as long as I get the part to push into the pipe, but before I spend any more money I'd prefer to ensure I get get what I need.

Can anyone tell me what they have on theirs please.
Al_Bolton

Re: Petrol taps

Post by Al_Bolton »

The taps are 1/8th inch for the Lightweights. 1/4 inch is too big - they should know better! You can buy adaptors but this just adds another potential leak point as far as I'm concerned.

What you have on the bottom of your tap is really up to you but mine all are 1/4 inch and I use good-quality, ethanol-resistant hose of this size.

Finding decent taps which don't leak after a short while is a real pain. You can use modern Pirtek gas taps - but I bought some recently and the ethanol melted the plastic handle! Other types may fit, I haven't looked, and of course they do look a bit out of place and too modern (though I'd rather have functional but anachronistic taps than period leakers!)

I bought a period-looking tap from eBay for £20 delivered - and it's the best so far. It's one of the (better) push/pull types but instead of the silly corks it uses Viton rubber for seals - ethanol proof. It's been on the Model 8 for a few months now and still works perfectly, no leaks. It's probably worth using some PTFE plumbers tape on the threads for the tank itself as well as a new fibre or other washer.

Hope this helps and leads to a heated discussion!!! BOOM! :rofl:

Al
Janet wrote:The petrol taps on my 1964 G2 CSR are leaking. I decided to buy some new ones but don't understand the sizes. However, I thought that if I explained my problem the lovely people at Jampot spares would be able to advise and assist which they did but, unfortunately the taps they said would fit are too big to screw into the holes in my tank. I had mentioned that I thought they may be smaller than on other tanks.

Now, my dilemma is this. The taps I was sent are listed as ¼" x ¼", which seem to be the same thread and, presumably, bore doe the inlet and outlet of the tap. THere is one listed in the spares that says 1/8" X 1/4". Assuming that my taps are 1/8" at the top, they do not appear to be 1/4" at the bottom. The outside thread diameter is smaller than the 1/4" on the new tap but greater than that on the top of my own that screws into the tank. Perhaps the bottom doesn't matter as long as I get the part to push into the pipe, but before I spend any more money I'd prefer to ensure I get get what I need.

Can anyone tell me what they have on theirs please.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Good afternoon Janet, the hole in the tank is 1/8 BSP, so you need a tap to suit this size, the other end of the tap will/maybe be 1/4 BSP to take a pipe/hose fitting.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Personally I'd re-cork the old ones.
1. buy bottle of wine / champagne
2. open it & save cork
3. pour a glass & remove taps
4. take tap apart and remove old corks
5. finish glass and cut cork to approx diameter (bit bigger) but 2 x thickness using stanley knife
6. pour next glass
7. drill hole through cork
8. put small bolt through hole and mount in drill-bit (or lathe if you have one)
9. reduce to correct diameter
10. finish glass and slice cork in half - you now have two new corks
11. soak in petrol or smear with vaseline - both seem to work
12. fit to tap & refit tap

I did mine the other week and it took about 15 minutes (I had already opened the bottle)
Peter W
Janet

Post by Janet »

I can't recork the old ones because they don't have corks in.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice, information and help.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote: It's probably worth using some PTFE plumbers tape on the threads for the tank itself as well as a new fibre or other washer.
I have given up on fibre washers and now use an 1/8"bsp thickish copper washer which has a rubber insert from Hitchcock's Motorcycles(listed in their petrol taps section). These squash down nicely and no leaks. My exit thread is weird as Janet has said "bigger than 1/8 but smaller than 1/4".. so I presume it is 3/16" bsp, if there is such a thing, but can't get a union nut to fit this so had to solder my cracked one, any ideas anyone?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Hi Paul,
A link to the seals would be nice - though this seems to be the closest I could find with a quick look at their website: PETROL TAP WASHER, COPPER/RUBBER, 1/8 GAS PART No.:5662A £0.75 :

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/am ... #part_6014

I almost feel like getting a Royal Oilfield - so many excellent things available for them!!! :rofl:

Personally, I've never had any problems with leaks from where the tap meets the tank itself. Maybe it's because I use the PTFE tape? But these Dowty seals do look the part, though they are a bit more expensive than a fibre washer - remember, I'm a cheapskate!

Al
Ozmadman wrote: I have given up on fibre washers and now use an 1/8"bsp thickish copper washer which has a rubber insert from Hitchcock's Motorcycles. These squash down nicely and no leaks

Paul
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I used one of those dowty seals on my petrol tap. The size of the hex of the petrol tap was too small for the seal to do its stuff and leaked.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:Hi Paul,
A link to the seals would be nice - though this seems to be the closest I could find with a quick look at their website: PETROL TAP WASHER, COPPER/RUBBER, 1/8 GAS PART No.:5662A £0.75 :

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/am ... #part_6014
Hi Al
Yep, those are the ones. Alan has just posted that they still leaked as the hex on the tap was too small but I haven't had that problem?? the washers were a tight(ish) fit on the tap thread so I am a bit surpised he had problems.. Anyone else had this?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed