Warning lights

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Grad

Re: Warning lights

Post by Grad »

Right that settles it then, the TIG welder gets a little exercise tomorrow!

Many thanks for all the replies helping out,

Cheers for now,

Steve
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

My 59 Model 14 has clear plastic teardrop shaped lights. Can't say they are that useful - just tell you what you already know.
Peter W
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

I've often wondered about this. So I had a look at my spares stock and the running bikes.

I have 5 Lightweight headlight shells in total to check, two on the running bikes and three spares. They all have small holes for...something! I can't think what really!

I've seen a couple of Lightweights with coloured bits of plastic in these holes but all they will do is glow a bit in the dark, as mentioned - there's no light bulb fitted specifically for them. There is (or should be within the headlamp shell as it's a legal requirement) a bracket with a bulb for the speedo, so this could cause them to be visible at night.

My G5 and Model 8 both have neat rubber bungs fitted in the holes, and I don't think I'm going to change this!

Still - a bit mysterious, innit?
Al
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Advance planning for a GPS mounting point....
:beer:
Corners like a Lego man
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Excellent!

I might try mounting my iPhone in these holes, using old bits of Meccano - very period and anachronistic at the same time...

Al
Eamonn wrote:Advance planning for a GPS mounting point....
:beer:
Janet

Post by Janet »

Al_Bolton wrote:I've seen a couple of Lightweights with coloured bits of plastic in these holes but all they will do is glow a bit in the dark, as mentioned - there's no light bulb fitted specifically for them. There is (or should be within the headlamp shell as it's a legal requirement) a bracket with a bulb for the speedo, so this could cause them to be visible at night.
Wouldn't that make them useless as warning lighhts except to show the speedo light was working?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:Wouldn't that make them useless as warning lights except to show the speedo light was working?
Then you would see it in the dark anyway? I have a bracket attached to my speedo which holds a bulb, this is bright enough to illuminate the speedo and the ammeter. It would be nice to know these red lights purpose though. The second picture at the end of this article does indeed show a model 8 with these "indicators in the headlamp shell

http://www.spanglefish.com/onanymonday/ ... eid=266828

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:
Janet wrote:Wouldn't that make them useless as warning lights except to show the speedo light was working?
Then you would see it in the dark anyway?
Exactly. Which is why I said, in those circumstances, they would be useless.
mike.dowling

Post by mike.dowling »

Hi
They should be red tear drop shaped and are there purely for the RIVET counters, can't see any other use but if you havent got them thats a black mark.
Regards
Mike d..
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

mike.dowling wrote:Hi
They should be red tear drop shaped and are there purely for the RIVET counters, can't see any other use but if you havent got them thats a black mark.
Regards
Mike d..
Black mark for me then!!! better get some quick!!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed