Knee grips

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Grad

Knee grips

Post by Grad »

Has anyone got a pic of the correct kneegrips for my 59 G2, and do they fit onto backplates, as most others, or directly to the little brackets?

Cheers,

Steve
Rob Harknett

Re: Knee grips

Post by Rob Harknett »

I'll have to go out in the shed and look in the morning, unless someone else knows without looking.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

The knee grip rubbers fit onto a bracket which is welded to the tank, below is a photo showing this, and another photo showing the knee grip fitted. I bought them from AMC classics two years ago.

Colin

only dead fish go with the flow
Grad

Post by Grad »

Thanks Colin, I didn't think there was a backing plate, lovely looking bike, by the way. I'll have to get a pair of the proper type and mod the brackets to suit!

Many thanks,

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Grad wrote:Thanks Colin, I didn't think there was a backing plate, lovely looking bike, by the way. I'll have to get a pair of the proper type and mod the brackets to suit!
Many thanks,
Steve
Why do you need to mod the brackets? the rubbers will fit straight on and be warned, they will be expensive!! here is a close up pic for you and if anyone can tell me what the holes are for it would be much appreciated as I can't see any use for them?? this is my spare tank, the one currently on the bike doesn't have these holes so are they another lightweight foible like the headlamp fairy lights?

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Grad

Post by Grad »

When I got my tank it had no brackets on at all, so I had to make a guess! I've only got to weld a bit on to lengthen them each end. The tank hasn't had any petrol in it since 1969, it didn't explode last time I tigged it, so it will be safe enough. As to the spare holes on your tank, the only thing I can think of is a hidden retaining screw to stop the kneegrips sliding about once they have been slotted onto the brackets, is there a recess in the back of the kneegrip at all? Other than that, I can see no other reason for them to be there!

Thanks for the pic,

Steve
les ward

Post by les ward »

Later tanks, such as those for the 250 CSR versions, didn't have the brackets as the rubbers were stuck on. I still have the chrome tank from my 1965 AJS 14CSR and it doesn't have the brackets.
Grad

Post by Grad »

Hi Les,

My tank did have brackets on originally, but someone had drilled the spotwelds out, and fibreglassed over the holes! They'd also put one of the tank bolts up through the bottom and fibreglassed that up as well!!! As a fuel tank it was probably best for straining peas. The trouble is that the tank was otherwise in excellent condition with only one tiny dent and very little rust, inside or out - and it is original to the bike. The rest of the bike was in good condition due to it having been painted with a thick coat of orange Dulux, evil to get off though - even with my shotblast cabinet at full steam!

Cheers,

Steve
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

I have a spare pair of pads that fit the tank somewhere - BUT...they are white in colour! You are welcome to them for the cost of postage...

I'm lucky that all my Lightweights came with the correct rubber pads, although not quite in pristine condition (like all my bikes!).

If you search the forum, you'll find someone else asked about the kneepads, and he was eventually able to get some from a guy who supplies rubber items who made some for him - but again, not cheap and I don't know if still available. They are VERY difficult items to find. :cry:

Cheers,
Al
Grad wrote:Hi Les,

My tank did have brackets on originally, but someone had drilled the spotwelds out, and fibreglassed over the holes! They'd also put one of the tank bolts up through the bottom and fibreglassed that up as well!!! As a fuel tank it was probably best for straining peas. The trouble is that the tank was otherwise in excellent condition with only one tiny dent and very little rust, inside or out - and it is original to the bike. The rest of the bike was in good condition due to it having been painted with a thick coat of orange Dulux, evil to get off though - even with my shotblast cabinet at full steam!

Cheers,

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote: If you search the forum, you'll find someone else asked about the kneepads, and he was eventually able to get some from a guy who supplies rubber items who made some for him - but again, not cheap and I don't know if still available. They are VERY difficult items to find. :cry:
I got mine from http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Petrol% ... 0Tanks.pdf £38.50 per pair

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed