Footrest tightness

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Footrest tightness

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi John and Alan

I think it is starting to make sense now and I think I will have to remove the exhaust and take the stand off completely to check. So are you both saying that there are two bushes/spacers that fit inside the pivot holes in the centre stand? So they must be circular on the outside with a square hole on the inside to fit over the shaft? and that they protrude slightly and are clamped when you do the footrests up but still allow the stand to rotate freely? that's interesting because when I loosen my footrests there is a reasonable amount of up and down play in the stand as if these bushes may be missing or broken and the stand is possibly trying to rotate on the shaft itself!! As for the outer bushes Alan each one is just long enough to allow the footrests the clear the geabox and primary case respectively but I should be able get under the bike and measure then without taking it apart again, will have a look tomorrow. I will try to get a couple of those inner bushes anyway so they are to hand when I take it apart. Many thanks, I feel there may be light at the end of the tunnel now

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:Thanks everyone, it's not too much of a problem, just need to remember to flick the stand up with my foot before I pull away otherwise it drags along the ground.
THat's what I do. It would only become a problem if it doesn't stay up but until now that hasn't happened. I just thought it didn't ping up because either the spring was weak or the whole lot is gunged up with muck, grease and oil.
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

If you take it all to bits, please post some photos as it's these areas which vary a lot from bike-to-bike, due, in my experience, to years of losing bits, and bodging :evil: - the curse of old bikes and the Lightweights in particular!

Although the parts list can help, seeing an example of a bike that's been assembled and everything is working as it should is most valuable. I'll try to dismantle my running Model 8 in this area too, as it seems fine.

Back in February, I dismantled the footrests and a few other parts on my other Model 8 frame in Devon and brought all the spacers back - and promptly "put them somewhere safe and lost them". I'm sure they will reappear and I will take photos of them and measure them too.

Little by little we are increasing our practical knowledge of these bikes!
:mrgreen:
Al

I think it is starting to make sense now and I think I will have to remove the exhaust and take the stand off completely to check. So are you both saying that there are two bushes/spacers that fit inside the pivot holes in the centre stand? So they must be circular on the outside with a square hole on the inside to fit over the shaft? and that they protrude slightly and are clamped when you do the footrests up but still allow the stand to rotate freely? that's interesting because when I loosen my footrests there is a reasonable amount of up and down play in the stand as if these bushes may be missing or broken and the stand is possibly trying to rotate on the shaft itself!! As for the outer bushes Alan each one is just long enough to allow the footrests the clear the geabox and primary case respectively but I should be able get under the bike and measure then without taking it apart again, will have a look tomorrow. I will try to get a couple of those inner bushes anyway so they are to hand when I take it apart. Many thanks, I feel there may be light at the end of the tunnel now

Paul[/quote]
corbal

Post by corbal »

Hi Paul

You are dead right - almost - your missing bushes don,t have a square hole. I guess they do not need it as the stand stop plates which fit against the outer face of them have square holes to keep things centralised. I have not seen these inner bushes listed anywhere and until John mentioned them I have not seen any reference to them but clearly your stand will be really sloppy without them. The dimensions are as follows:-
OD - 0.875 ID - 0.610 - Thickness - 0.495 (it was probably 1/2" thick but it was rusty like the rest of the bike so I probably took off 5 thou cleaning it up). The two outer bushes I am missing I suspect are similar OD & ID to the above. I found them listed in the official spares list under 042368 & 9 one left one right handed but I cannot find anyone stocking them. My plan is to make them also out of my old spare 042367 centre stand spring support spacer tube which is about 3-3/8" long and almost the same OD & ID as your missing bushes. If you can measure yours when you survey tonight and let me have the thickness dimensions I will be very grateful.

Good Luck

Alan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Alan

Thanks for the extra info. Where did you get your 042367 bush from only Andrews Engineering list them but I don't want to order them if they come in wrong? As for the dimensions of the other two outer bushes, the best I can measure laying under the bike with a steel rule, mirror and torch and trying to look through the correct part of my bifocals is 9/16" for the wider one which I have on the RH side and 3/8" for the narrower one. As I said I don't think this is critical as they both just have to be long enough for the footrest arm to clear both casings but from looking at mine I would say this should be the minimum they should be and I still have about 4 threads each side extending from the nuts. And yes AL , once I get round to dismantling the stand I will post some pictures but I wont be taking the lower frame off just the stand, brackets and spacers as I want to ride it sometime this year unlike last year when i was doing a lot of work on it..

Thanks again all

Paul
Last edited by Ozmadman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

ANY photos are immensely useful to the Lightweighteers! I think we should organize a photo section for these bikes. :mrgreen:

Al
Ozmadman wrote:Hi Alan

Thanks for the extra info. Where did you get your 042367 bush from only Andrews Engineering list them but I don't want to order them if they come in wrong? As for the dimensions of the other two outer bushes, the best I can measure laying under the bike with a steel rule, mirror and torch and trying to look through the correct part of my bifocals is 9/16" for the wider one which I have on the RH side and 3/8" for the narrower one. As I said I don't think this is critical as they both just have to be long enough for the footrest arm to clear both casings but from looking at mine I would say this should be the minimum they should be and I still have about 4 threads each side extending from the nuts. And yes AL , once I get round to dismantling the stand I will post some pictures but I wont be taking the lower frame off just the stand brackets and spacers as I want to ride it sometime this year unlike last year when i was doing a lot of work on it..

Thanks again all

Paul
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Hi All,
Figure 71 on Page 63 of the Workshop Instruction manual on the following link http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop_manuals/ shows the spacer on the footrest bar between the centre channel and the centre stand stop plate.
Kind regards,
John
corbal

Post by corbal »

Hi Paul

Yes I ordered mine from Andrews thinking I was going to get my missing bush but ended up with the cradle tube spacer spring holding bit I had already got, but as I say I am using the old one to make my missing bits so alls well that ends well, but do not order 042367 unless you want a bit of tube about 3-3/8" long.

Thanks for dimensions, I just need to find someone nearby with a little lathe who can part off from my 042367 tube the three bushes I am missing.

Cheers

Alan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

John Jarrett wrote:Hi All,
Figure 71 on Page 63 of the Workshop Instruction manual on the following link http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop_manuals/ shows the spacer on the footrest bar between the centre channel and the centre stand stop plate.
Kind regards,
John
Yep, it surely does but shows them with a square centre for the shaft, Alan reckons they don't have a square centre, not that it seems to matter either way as long as they are wide enough to span the stand pivot plus a fraction more..

hanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
corbal

Post by corbal »

Paul

If you look at that picture again more closely it looks to me (particularly if you look at the far bush)that you can see a gap all round the square bar so I reckon it should have a round bore not a square. If you buy them or make them with a square hole they probably would be better. Do you know if the outer bushes you gave me the dimensions for have round bore or square?

Alan