Footrest tightness

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Footrest tightness

Post by Ozmadman »

corbal wrote:Paul

If you look at that picture again more closely it looks to me (particularly if you look at the far bush)that you can see a gap all round the square bar so I reckon it should have a round bore not a square. If you buy them or make them with a square hole they probably would be better. Do you know if the outer bushes you gave me the dimensions for have round bore or square?

Alan
Definitely round as I have in the past taken them off

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
corbal

Post by corbal »

Thanks Paul- see your on-line at present like me - good thing this forum. Have you sussed out all the rear brakes spindle bits yet, thats as much fun as the centre stand.

Alan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

corbal wrote: Have you sussed out all the rear brakes spindle bits yet, thats as much fun as the centre stand.
Alan
No, not yet.. it's far too cold to spend too long outside on a job that isn't crucial at the moment. You see all my work has to be done outside as is the bike but it's well covered with two quality covers and bolted to the house with high security stuff etc (does make it a mission though just to go out on it and then pack it away when I come back) Oh for a garage!!! just a small lottery win and selling my flat(no mortgage) would buy me a house with a garage, bliss... one day!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Me too 😨
Sam
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Samuel wrote:Me too
Yeah it's a pain isn't it and not even enough room for another bike either should I ever be in a position to get one as I only a very short garden (well gravelled bit) between the front of the house and the front wall before the pavement.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

corbal wrote:Hi Paul
You are dead right - almost - your missing bushes don,t have a square hole. I guess they do not need it as the stand stop plates which fit against the outer face of them have square holes to keep things centralised. I have not seen these inner bushes listed anywhere and until John mentioned them I have not seen any reference to them but clearly your stand will be really sloppy without them. The dimensions are as follows:-
OD - 0.875 ID - 0.610 - Thickness - 0.495 (it was probably 1/2" thick but it was rusty like the rest of the bike so I probably took off 5 thou cleaning it up). The two outer bushes I am missing I suspect are similar OD & ID to the above. I found them listed in the official spares list under 042368 & 9 one left one right handed but I cannot find anyone stocking them. My plan is to make them also out of my old spare 042367 centre stand spring support spacer tube which is about 3-3/8" long and almost the same OD & ID as your missing bushes. If you can measure yours when you survey tonight and let me have the thickness dimensions I will be very grateful.
Good Luck
Alan
Hi Alan As I haven't got my stand off as yet to look at the pivot holes and want to have all the bits ready for when I do do it can you just confirm that the bushes that go in the pivot holes are 7/8" o/d (0.875) therefore the holes in the stand are that diameter as well? Also I did indeed order a bush from Andrews which, as expected, came as a tube which is also 7/8" o/d (measured with a steel rule)(result!! or so I thought). The only thing is, the i/d of this is (23/32")(just under 3/4" which would be 0.750) bigger than your measurement of (0.610) for the proper spacers and larger than the square footrest shaft it goes over which could cause up and down movement in the stand depending on how tightly it was all clamped up so I am not sure whether I can use this tube to make my missing bushes? As for yours you need the outer spacers so you should be ok as that is all they are, spacers, nothing is resting on them and they are there purely to space the footrests out a bit, you could actually just use a number suitable washers if you wanted to which would do the same job, I would appreciate your views on this. To go a step further I also ordered a new stand spring.. if you do a job you may as well do it properly etc etc ..... but to replace this is usually a exercise in bike dismantling.

There is a member who has done this without the usual grief , have a look at jimbob's comments on the "Model 8 centre stand" thread where says he was able to replace his spring without taking the engine out, I have asked for more details on page two but had no replies as yet, have you or has anyone else who is reading this got any ideas/tricks how to remove that bottom channel without dismantling the whole bike and "spreading" the frame?

Many thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Paul, the rocker box on the head is bolted to the top tube of the frame so when you remove the bottom channel the engine won't drop out, just check you have the bracket fitted and bolted before you start :D
As to the question of the frame spreading all I can say is some do and some don't, if it does its quite easy to open the frame enough to get the bolts in.
If you dont have means to hold the bike vertical without the stand try making a wooden frame around the back wheel or tie the handlebars to gatepost, wall, nextdoors car, :D
If you need spacers let me know I can knock some up for you, my lightweights are in winter storage, ten miles away but I have spare stands and square bar to size up the spacer and if I turn you a couple say an inch long you can cut them to the length you want.
Let me know

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cbranni wrote:Hi Paul, the rocker box on the head is bolted to the top tube of the frame so when you remove the bottom channel the engine won't drop out, just check you have the bracket fitted and bolted before you start :D
As to the question of the frame spreading all I can say is some do and some don't, if it does its quite easy to open the frame enough to get the bolts in.
If you dont have means to hold the bike vertical without the stand try making a wooden frame around the back wheel or tie the handlebars to gatepost, wall, nextdoors car, :D
If you need spacers let me know I can knock some up for you, my lightweights are in winter storage, ten miles away but I have spare stands and square bar to size up the spacer and if I turn you a couple say an inch long you can cut them to the length you want.
Let me know
Colin
Thanks Colin

To be honest I would really appreciate it if you could "knock up" some spacers for me, that would be brilliant!!! what a nice chap you are! I was kinda hoping that Andrews would have the correct ones to part number but like Alan I got a tube over 3 inches long, the support tube for the spring (actually 2 tubes as I ordered 2) and rummaging through my bits and bobs I was hoping I could find something that would do but I haven't anything and no means of making them. Just a question, once the bike is supported (yes the top bracket is in place)do I need to undo both those studs at the front (on the down tube)to release the bottom channel or just the lower one as it looks like there is a join between the lower frame and down tube there? There is no immediate rush as I have to do this outside on a day it won't rain + it's too cold for any extended work outside on a job that isn't crucial.. Many thanks again

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

The holes in the front of the channel are slotted I think but not sure, so tomorrow morning I shall dig out the frame parts I have and photo them and post for your perusal, you only need to slacken (or remove) the lower bolt to facilitate the removal of the the channel, all will be clear when you see the photos.

Coilin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8