Footrest tightness

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
cbranni

Re: Footrest tightness

Post by cbranni »

Hi Paul..............heres a mock up of the bottom frame, I havn't found the spring tube and side plates but will look again tomorrow

only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks Colin

That is very helpful, I can see the bushes/spacers and that they extend just proud of the stand pivot bosses , so it is just the two lower front bolts then? Also once all the stand stuff is removed and relevant bolts undone can I swivel the channel down without removing the other frame (the one which has the silencer bar and pillion footrest bar on it?)

Thanks again Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Yes Paul, just remove the two sq bars, the stand stop plates, remove the stand, the four studs and it should come away with a little help, if you pm me your address I shall put a couple of spacers in the post to you, they will be too long so you can cut them to correct length.
Check the stand stops for wear and cracking, any issues get them welded up and dressed back, if your back wheel is on the ground when bike is on the stand is clear indication of wear on these stops.

Colin

I just realised you have a model 8 350, the mock up I showed was for a late 250, the difference is the rear sq bar, on the 8 its a round shaft with square ends but the srtip down is the same.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thank you very much Colin for the extra info, My stand stops are fine as I have already modified them due to the stand rotating forward too much, now the bike sits nice and high and you can rock it to free up either wheel at ease. I will PM'd you with my address, really appreciate it. It will also be a good chance to clean out the 50+
years of crud out from under the engine!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
corbal

Post by corbal »

Hi Paul _ I have been away in Dorset for a week without internet and have just read your entry to the string on Friday 29th. I am going to make my missing bushes out of the old cradle spacer which has an ID of .650 so theres not a lot of play. I just received today my brand new square bar to go with them (Russell Motors). My existing one was twisted in both planes like a corkscrew. I checked the ID of the new cradle spacer that (like you) I got from Andrews (thinking it was my missing centre stand bearing bush) and like yours is larger than the old one ie thinner wall. So if you have your old cradle spacer tube you may be able to use that to make spacers and use one of your new shiny Andrews tubes for the spring support. Having said all that if our friend in Wales can make and send you a pair you have only to fit them. I cannot help you with the second bit of your enquiry as I have never owned a complete Model 8 and not likely to for another 18 months or so.

Oh!! - by the way, I have just fettled my centre stand (I am stripping everything back to bare metal and repainting) and discovered the brazing on one side of cross support tube is cracked all the way round. If you grab the two legs and pull them apart you can see movement around the joint. I would not have found this if I had not stripped off the grease, rust and paint. I have ground away the brass spelter with my Dremel and welded it instead. Seems to have done the job.

Cheers Alan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Well I have just spent the best part of today fixing my centre stand issues. I now have a stand that is free to rotate on its correct bushes( thanks again Colin B) and footrests that can be tightened without them jamming up the centre stand movement. My old bushes were so tight in the stand that I had to press them out so it appears that the stand was rotating not around the clamped bushes but on the square shaft!

I am a bit disappointed though as now the stand is nice and free the spring seems a bit weak as it barely pulls the stand up once you push the bike off it and I reckon it would bounce up and down a bit over bumps. This is a new spring which is still under tension when the stand is up but does not seem up to the job of pulling up a relatively heavy stand. Any ideas anyone? don't really want to dismantle it all again if I can help it cos the side stand was an added pig to get back on

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Paul, glad you sorted the centre stand, I think I had that problem on my 350 and fixed it by fitting a rubber stop somewhere, it didn't stop it bouncing but at least it didn't make any noise.

Colin
corbal

Post by corbal »

Hi Paul

As per Colins reply I'm not sure what you can do about the spring but you should have a little 'L' shaped bracket with a holes in both legs. This fits on the brake pedal/rear footrest axle and has a little rubber mushroom which pushes into the other hole. When the stand is pushed back up it hits the rubber mushroom so you do not get a metal to metal clang.

Alan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cbranni wrote:Hi Paul, glad you sorted the centre stand, I think I had that problem on my 350 and fixed it by fitting a rubber stop somewhere, it didn't stop it bouncing but at least it didn't make any noise.
Colin
+
corbal wrote:Hi Paul
As per Colins reply I'm not sure what you can do about the spring but you should have a little 'L' shaped bracket with a holes in both legs. This fits on the brake pedal/rear footrest axle and has a little rubber mushroom which pushes into the other hole. When the stand is pushed back up it hits the rubber mushroom so you do not get a metal to metal clang.
Alan
Yes I do have that little bracket fitted to the n/side pillion footrest bar and I have a small rubber plug in it so it doesn't make metal to metal... just wondered if there is anything I could do about the spring tension? either it needs to be a coil shorter or the cow horn shape bar needs a kink in the centre of it to stretch the spring a bit more.. either way you probably would never be able to attach the spring then, will work on it..

Thanks Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8