Cranked chain link

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Cranked chain link

Post by Ozmadman »

Call me a dumbo if you like but what is a cranked link for the rear chain and more importantly what is its purpose and do I need one? I have heard references to these and horror stories befalling those who choose to leave them off their chains but haven't a clue what they are, I'm sure my rear chain hasn't got one

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
robcurrie

Re: Cranked chain link

Post by robcurrie »

Paul, I think you have heard of a half link which is needed like in my case when I changed my gearbox sprocket from 17 teeth to 18 teeth and found that I was outside of the range of adjustment of the rear axle. It allows for a half a pitch length change to the chain.

Here is an example: https://www.denniskirk.com/520-standard ... 113131.prd

You can even get complete chains with these 'cranked links', but I think stretching will be a problem.

Rob
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

robcurrie wrote:Paul, I think you have heard of a half link which is needed like in my case when I changed my gearbox sprocket from 17 teeth to 18 teeth and found that I was outside of the range of adjustment of the rear axle. It allows for a half a pitch length change to the chain.
Rob
Thanks Rob
Presuming then that adding a full link will make the chain too long? maybe I will need to do that as I want to change my lightweight gearbox sprocket from 18 to 19 at some point

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

The best is to check first because you have to shorten the chain to use the half link as you need to fit it with two masterlinks and a roller link.

First adjust the primary chain, then try your existing chain and see what you need to get the axle in the desired position.

I bought a new chain, but haven't used it yet because I was wary of cutting it before I was happy with the measurement using the old chain and half link.

Rob
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There were cranked links and double cranked links. These could be used to shorten or lenghten a chain.
Years ago when money was not so plentiful one would resort to removing a link from an old worn and streatched chain, replaceing it with a cranked link which then needed 2 split links to join up the chain, of course sprockets also wore out. But, in those far off days buying new was not considered , plenty of srcap bikes about to find an old chain or sprocket with a bit more life left in it. But not life as you may consider it now. Those were hards times, sure the chains often threw off, damaged bits removed and more old bits added to make them fit again.
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

If you are going to add one tooth to either of your sprocket wheels, that is one pitch and assuming you have a 5/8"pitch chain, the rear axle will only have to move forward half of that which is 5/16". You may already have that 5/16" forward adjustment already available, so there will be no need to alter the chain!......
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Life is never simple and perfect....... consider also the pitch circle diameter of the sprockets and the angle the chain relative to the swingarm! The hypotenuse will get you :o
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

And Paul,----if you need a cranked link or any other chain bits or advice, just Google --The Chain Man--- I always keep one for the drive chains, and a split-link for each chain in my toolbox. Each chain? I broke down a couple of years ago with a broken Mag chain!
Robin
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

paul knapp wrote:If you are going to add one tooth to either of your sprocket wheels, that is one pitch and assuming you have a 5/8"pitch chain, the rear axle will only have to move forward half of that which is 5/16". You may already have that 5/16" forward adjustment already available, so there will be no need to alter the chain!......
What a nice positive outlook!! I hope so..

Thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

paul knapp wrote:If you are going to add one tooth to either of your sprocket wheels, that is one pitch and assuming you have a 5/8"pitch chain, the rear axle will only have to move forward half of that which is 5/16". You may already have that 5/16" forward adjustment already available, so there will be no need to alter the chain!......
You have not taken into consideration that one link of chain is two pitches - the actual reason why the half link was created :headbang: