correct names for parts.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cartergsd

correct names for parts.

Post by cartergsd »

Help!

Here is the issue..62.model 14 sapphire.

Ive worked out that there are a few bits missing and some things need replacing.

Ive rang around, wont mention where. The issue im having is i dont know what the correct names of the parts are. Ive looked at my spare list but i dont know what the items are called and the suppliers are wanting part numbers which im struggling with due to not knowing what they are called or i cant find them. Ive descibed the items but they still require the part numbers.

For example rocker head cover bolt

top engine mount stud/bolt to attach engine to top of frame

tool box cover fixtures

to name a couple.

So how can i get around this?
Al_Bolton

Re: correct names for parts.

Post by Al_Bolton »

Your descriptions sound reasonable. The way to get round your initial unfamiliarity is to ask, which you have already done, and to study the parts list carefully. It's good and has mostly-sensible descriptions BUT you may have to look under other headings for the parts you want - for example the rocker box nuts are listed under "Cylinder and CYlinder head" in my parts list.

Many nuts, bolts, set screws, studs are pretty standard generic parts - I'd strongly advise you to buy some decent-quality, cheapish bags of nuts, bolts, studs and washers from somewhere like Nobby's Nuts, who advertise on line. You'll need them and they are FAR cheaper than buying them individually, even from our wonderful club! Plus some will drop off after you get the 14 back on the road...

In case of real difficulty, why not upload some photos of the items and we can help you.

Here's a quick go at what you posted - done quickly - Fellow Lightweighteers! please post any corrections as follow ups!

1) "rocker head cover bolt"= Rocker box bolt=042156 Nut, sleeve, cylinder stud 3/8 in. by 26 T.P.I. 4 off

2) "top engine mount stud/bolt to attach engine to top of frame"=Stud, front, engine cradle=000275 1 off and Nut, engine cradle stud, 000004 (needs a washer too)

3) "tool box cover fixtures" = This is a bit more vague - the toolbox/sidepanel is held on by a couple of studs and bolts as well as a largish, knurled knob. The studs are 042458, Stud, tool box/accessory cover and need more of the popular 000004 nuts to fasten them. The knurled and chromed screw is "Screw, knurled, tool box lid, 014511

Please post your name...I don't want to refer to you as "cartergsd" :P

Best,

Al
cartergsd wrote:Help!

Here is the issue..62.model 14 sapphire.

Ive worked out that there are a few bits missing and some things need replacing.

Ive rang around, wont mention where. The issue im having is i dont know what the correct names of the parts are. Ive looked at my spare list but i dont know what the items are called and the suppliers are wanting part numbers which im struggling with due to not knowing what they are called or i cant find them. Ive descibed the items but they still require the part numbers.

For example rocker head cover bolt

top engine mount stud/bolt to attach engine to top of frame

tool box cover fixtures

to name a couple.

So how can i get around this?
cartergsd

Post by cartergsd »

Many thanks Al,

Just studying the parts list now..slightly frustrated in my lack of knowledge but guess this is how you you learn.

Gary

(cartergsd, dogs name who is a german shepherd.....lol!)
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Hi Gary - we may have spoken before.

I'm on the Oxfordshire border (Caversham), so can always let you have a look at my Lightweights to see how things fit together - just let me know. They do have a few "quirks"...

Cheers,
Al

cartergsd wrote:Many thanks Al,

Just studying the parts list now..slightly frustrated in my lack of knowledge but guess this is how you you learn.

Gary

(cartergsd, dogs name who is a german shepherd.....lol!)
clive

Post by clive »

Al if you want to know someone's name try clicking on profile when the mouse pointer is hovering over their user name. Many people include their name in their profile, although this may be an alias of course.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix