Source for Lightweight valve springs

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Al_Bolton

Source for Lightweight valve springs

Post by Al_Bolton »

I was talking to my chum and fellow Model 8 owner Richard, and he asked me if I knew of a source of NEW Lightweight valve springs. I don't, so I had a quick look afround - the Club doesn't list them, nor does Andrew Engineering. I've been lucky as all the ones I have seem to be ok and work ok, but eventually they WILL be knackered (and they can get marked and break too).

Richard mentioned that they must be available somewhere, as some of the older Ferrari V12 engines use this type of "butterfly" spring so somebody must be making something along these lines!

The last of the 250CSRs had "normal" coil valve springs I believe - could be interesting to consider if this is a possible or worthwhile conversion...

Any ideas, comments? Cross-posted to G5/8 as well.

Cheers,

Al
Rob Harknett

Re: Source for Lightweight valve springs

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure there were some 3 types of lightweight springs. Just recently I noticed coil springs for singles from 1935 to 1947 were out of stock. Thats 5 years of late 30's bikes, 5 years of WD Matchless and a couple of post war years of singles. 1948 a one off year using a different type of coil spring prior to hairpins. Various types of hairpin springs have been in use on many marques since the 1930's perhaps even some in the 1920's. The early coil springs mentioned are considered not worth reproducing, so what chance does a smaller market of lightweights have for hairpins types and coil springs. I think the prewar guys will get Terry type VS 82's probably made in Poland. What ever happened to the British manufacturers of motor cycle parts may be the next cry. They will go for the same reason as making bikes went over 50 years ago. Even now we see the growth of reproducing parts is in India. Who will not always be seen as offering cheap rubbish by dodgy dealers. We have heard the warning shots yet again and take no notice ??? History repeating itself.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Part numbers Model 14 and 8, G2/G5

Spring narrow prong x 2 = 024220
Spring wide prong x 2 = 024219

14 CS etc

Spring narrow prong x 2 = 042148
Spring wide prong x 2 = 042149

Don't know anything about the later coil springs though + the later 8's had a thicker stemmed exhaust valve (aka cs type) so not sure whether you would need to fit the cs springs for that size valve or not (or what the difference is and whether you could fit the cs ones anyway) but everything else looks the same, seats, collars etc..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Grad

Post by Grad »

Just seen this! Has anyone got a good lightweight hairpin valve spring, or maybe a NOS one? There's a place in Peterborough that makes springs to order. If I have a pattern and, if possible, the rating, I can pop over and show him, and see what he thinks. If there's enough interest to get a batch going, the cost will be significantly reduced. He makes springs for machinery and press tools amongst others, so he's familiar with giving them a long life!

Cheers,

Steve
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Many thanks for this, Steve! Most interesting. I have many springs but I'm away from home now until the middle of April - if no one else steps up, can contact you then.

Cheers,

Al
Grad wrote:Just seen this! Has anyone got a good lightweight hairpin valve spring, or maybe a NOS one? There's a place in Peterborough that makes springs to order. If I have a pattern and, if possible, the rating, I can pop over and show him, and see what he thinks. If there's enough interest to get a batch going, the cost will be significantly reduced. He makes springs for machinery and press tools amongst others, so he's familiar with giving them a long life!

Cheers,

Steve
Grad

Post by Grad »

Hi Al,

I wish hindsight was reclaimable, I gave 2 new, full sets away when I sold my AJS 14...............................................................in the 60's!

Cheers,

Steve
ballard berkley

Post by ballard berkley »

Did anyone have any success in sourcing valve springs ?

I am looking for either hairpin or coil springs for a G2 CSR

Cheers
Paul