A few answers needed

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

A few answers needed

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi just wondered if anyone can answer a few questions for me about my 1960 model 8

1) My engine oil level always drops to about an inch below the return hole even after a short run but stays there and doesn't go any lower(I top it up to just under). Apart from a few drips when standing, a couple more out of the rear chain case drain hole now and then, a very slight run down the centre stand n/s leg and a bit of smoke on start up (nothing at all when running) if it has been left a while (a few weeks without running). any ideas? I have a good oil return from start up , the engine has only just about run in from a top end rebuild and the inlet valve oil screw seems adjusted correctly (about a 6th of a turn)

2) I have noticed that I have a short oil filter fitted, should I have the long one? could that cause the above?

3) I have the original gauze filter that comes attached to the chrome nut would that be better to use?

4) How can I straighten the footrest arms they are both slightly bent causing the rests to angle up a bit when tightened up (can't really notice it until you look at the bike from the rear)

Many thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Re: A few answers needed

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would not be too concerned about that.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:4) How can I straighten the footrest arms they are both slightly bent causing the rests to angle up a bit when tightened up
I tell people mine were designed like that to enable race cornering.

Well, it is a CSR. :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The footrests may not be bent. Check the bar, thats a weaker point that may be bent. If so put nuts on the thread grip in a vice and you may be able to straighten it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:I would not be too concerned about that.
Hi Rob, which part of the question or all of it??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:
Ozmadman wrote:4) How can I straighten the footrest arms they are both slightly bent causing the rests to angle up a bit when tightened up
I tell people mine were designed like that to enable race cornering.
Well, it is a CSR. :lol:
Very good!! At the bike event in my home town Bank Hol Monday a guy was looking at my bike and asking about the make of the rear tyre. I said it is only a Mitas tyre, I don't need anything fancy as I just plod around and don't go round roundabouts angled over at 45 degrees. oh! he said, I thought you did and that's why you have holes in the knees of your jeans.. joker!!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Nowt wrong with Mitas.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

MikeM. wrote:Nowt wrong with Mitas.
I know nothing about tyres and I just presumed it was a cheapy. looks right on this kind of bike though

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

The oil level on my G5 is exactly the same; fill it to a fraction below the return hole and within 20 miles it will be 1 inch below and that's where it stays for ever and a day. ;) I know some have said on this forum that it should be only just below the return hole but if I keep topping mine up it doesn't stay there, I don't know where the oil goes I assume it burns it because it doesn't leak. :o I've just accepted that it finds it's own level and I've had no problems. :beer: The breather does keep the chain nicely lubricated and I have a small amount come out of a hole on the tin case. I wouldn't worry about a little oil on the stand leg, that may come from the gearbox. Do keep a check on that level and make sure it's always topped up.
I'm not sure about the oil filter but there was a thread on here about the length of them, I do believe they modified early in there run.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Tolly wrote:The oil level on my G5 is exactly the same; fill it to a fraction below the return hole and within 20 miles it will be 1 inch below and that's where it stays for ever and a day. ;) I know some have said on this forum that it should be only just below the return hole but if I keep topping mine up it doesn't stay there, I don't know where the oil goes I assume it burns it because it doesn't leak. :o I've just accepted that it finds it's own level and I've had no problems. :beer: The breather does keep the chain nicely lubricated and I have a small amount come out of a hole on the tin case. I wouldn't worry about a little oil on the stand leg, that may come from the gearbox. Do keep a check on that level and make sure it's always topped up.
I'm not sure about the oil filter but there was a thread on here about the length of them, I do believe they modified early in there run.
Thanks Michael, very helpful and reassuring!! a carbon copy of what my bike is doing.. I am aware that there is a slight leak on the gearbox main seal because the previous owner told me, it's not much but it does require a small amount every so often to keep it full. I have a spare re-built box that one day may go in but at the moment there is nothing wrong with the one on the bike (apart from the leak) so that can be a winter job at some point.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8