Original or trials ?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Original or trials ?

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote: What are the symptoms?
Yes, as Janet has asked we need to know the symptoms. I had a hell of a time with my model 8 (the 350 version of yours basically)getting it to run properly but now it runs like a watch, beautiful.. so we may be able to come up with the answer. The side panel on the RH side is an outer panel with a hinged tool box compartment inside held on with two bolts at the bottom and a large chrome knurled screw in a hole at the top . The other side is just a plain panel with no toolbox attached in a similar way. These come up on ebay pretty regularly but don't pay too much for them, some sellers take the mickey with price so keep an eye on cheap ones that you can re-paint yourself, you can even get the original type transfers for them.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
lil welshy

Post by lil welshy »

Malleon wrote:Cerilyn,
As mentioned in my PM, cbranni is a mine of info. on these bikes, and will be a useful source of help (if you ask him nicely!)
Best regards.

He's already offered to look at my AJ :) very nice man !!!! ( he lives about 15 miles away)
lil welshy

Post by lil welshy »

Ozmadman wrote:
Janet wrote: What are the symptoms?
Yes, as Janet has asked we need to know the symptoms. I had a hell of a time with my model 8 (the 350 version of yours basically)getting it to run properly but now it runs like a watch, beautiful.. so we may be able to come up with the answer. The side panel on the RH side is an outer panel with a hinged tool box compartment inside held on with two bolts at the bottom and a large chrome knurled screw in a hole at the top . The other side is just a plain panel with no toolbox attached in a similar way. These come up on ebay pretty regularly but don't pay too much for them, some sellers take the mickey with price so keep an eye on cheap ones that you can re-paint yourself, you can even get the original type transfers for them.

Paul

Just replied to her message. I've just bought a LHS panel on eBay for £15. Is that reasonable ?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

lil welshy wrote: He's already offered to look at my AJ :) very nice man !!!! ( he lives about 15 miles away)
He will sort it if anyone can, he has just helped me out with some bushes that I couldn't get as well, a real gent!!
lil welshy wrote:Just replied to her message. I've just bought a LHS panel on eBay for £15. Is that reasonable ?
Not too bad, I know the one(in grey primer) as I was bidding on it as well!! but I am glad you got it (your needs are greater than mine) as I was just getting it as a spare if it was going to be really cheap. I would pay a similar amount for the other side, just keep your eyes open they vary quite a bit and it depends who else wants it at the same time.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

lil welshy wrote: It runs like it has a dirty carb ( not enough fuel getting through) but I have cleaned the carb at least 4 times since owning him. He also doesn't like revving high he goes flat when he should hae power and wants to cut out. And he's lost all his power, he does 40 maximum :(. Quite upset, he's only been for one ride since I've had him
Have you checked the fuel flow from the tank? There could be muck in the tank blocking the gauze filter on the fuel tap and banjo connection on the carb. Also check that the breather in the filler cap is working by just opening the filler slightly while riding (don't try this at home, rather find a quiet open road).

Rob
Janet

Post by Janet »

lil welshy wrote:It runs like it has a dirty carb ( not enough fuel getting through) but I have cleaned the carb at least 4 times since owning him. He also doesn't like revving high he goes flat when he should hae power and wants to cut out. And he's lost all his power, he does 40 maximum :(. Quite upset, he's only been for one ride since I've had him
I would look at the ignition system. When it's not right, the bike can run but not as it should. Also, the coil may have a fault and be sending an intermittent spark. I had a bike that would hesitate, cough and splutter at times and sometimes not start at all, but a new coil fixed that. Also, setting up the ignition advance/retard unit can be fiddly on the lightweights but is well worth getting right. Do you have a manual for it? The previous owner of mine didn't so everything was done by guesswork. The upside of that is I have learned a lot about the machine.

Don't give up. When they're on form they are cracking bikes.

`
lil welshy

Post by lil welshy »

robcurrie wrote:
lil welshy wrote: It runs like it has a dirty carb ( not enough fuel getting through) but I have cleaned the carb at least 4 times since owning him. He also doesn't like revving high he goes flat when he should hae power and wants to cut out. And he's lost all his power, he does 40 maximum :(. Quite upset, he's only been for one ride since I've had him
Have you checked the fuel flow from the tank? There could be muck in the tank blocking the gauze filter on the fuel tap and banjo connection on the carb. Also check that the breather in the filler cap is working by just opening the filler slightly while riding (don't try this at home, rather find a quiet open road).

Rob

Yes all those things have been checked :)
lil welshy

Post by lil welshy »

Janet wrote:
lil welshy wrote:It runs like it has a dirty carb ( not enough fuel getting through) but I have cleaned the carb at least 4 times since owning him. He also doesn't like revving high he goes flat when he should hae power and wants to cut out. And he's lost all his power, he does 40 maximum :(. Quite upset, he's only been for one ride since I've had him
I would look at the ignition system. When it's not right, the bike can run but not as it should. Also, the coil may have a fault and be sending an intermittent spark. I had a bike that would hesitate, cough and splutter at times and sometimes not start at all, but a new coil fixed that. Also, setting up the ignition advance/retard unit can be fiddly on the lightweights but is well worth getting right. Do you have a manual for it? The previous owner of mine didn't so everything was done by guesswork. The upside of that is I have learned a lot about the machine.

Don't give up. When they're on form they are cracking bikes.

I have about 3 different manuals that came with the bike so ill have to spend some time reading them. The bike starts extremely easy, but I shall look into what you've said :) thank you !
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

lil welshy wrote:

The bike starts extremely easy, but I shall look into what you've said :) thank you !
If it starts extremely easily but then has flat spots and will not go well I would suggest you look at the timing and the advance retard unit.

I would suggest that the bike is retarded and the unit is stuck and not advancing the ignition as you rev the engine.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Colin F wrote:I would suggest that the bike is retarded and the unit is stuck and not advancing the ignition as you rev the engine.
I never thought of the unit sticking, although I have had the opposite problem, ie weak springs so the weights took ages to return. I must write that in my book for future reference.