Spark plug re-thread and other issues

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Spark plug re-thread and other issues

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:I may have a pic of the spring fitting device. If not I'll photo mine and post it on here later. I think there's a pic in the original AMC Parts List under Special Tools'.

Pics on page 26 and 27 of the half moon and lever type spring fitting tools here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
Thanks

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Give the head a good clean and grind it on, then a good gasket will seal OK. Exhaust valve will show much more burning, while the inlet still looks good. Getting there with the prob's, I wonder what removing the barrel will reveal?
Sorry I dont post any pic's here, and won't untill we get a 25 hour day.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Give the head a good clean and grind it on, then a good gasket will seal OK.
Cleaned the head.. "grind it on" lost me there??? will be using a copper gasket but have also got an ally one, has anyone used one of those with success?? Now it's apart will do the centre stand spacer bushes as well(once the head and support bracket is back on of course)to see if I can sort out the issue there.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Morning Paul, reading your essay :D I don't think you have any issues with the head other than the spark plug thread, I mean the engine doesn't smoke so I would leave well alone, now the head is off grind the valves in, fit the copper gasket, anneal it even if its new and torque it down as per manual.
You can fit the valve springs without the tool, fit the spring with the inner tangs first then fit the spring with the outer tangs, how I explain this could be complicated..............hook the spring to the valve, line up the tangs, squeeze the spring and push it down with the other hand causing the tangs to slide into position, repeat for the other spring, it does work, but wear gloves :D
Regarding the spark plug thread, get it helicoiled or new insert fitted by a good shop.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Give the head a good clean and grind it on, then a good gasket will seal OK.
Cleaned the head.. "grind it on" lost me there???
I don't know whether this is what Mr Harknett means but grinding surfaces on a plate glass mirror gives a good level finish due to it being flat so there's no risk of rubbing one area more than another and making the problem worse. Not to be done too enthusiastically or you risk wearing away too much and reducing tolerances. It can be messy and is very time consuming but is a cheap option for the poverty stricken/cheapskates/self sufficient/Tykes. Perhaps he means to grind the mating surfaces of the head and barrel together.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks all, would you risk using an old copper gasket? + what stuff would you use to do the grinding if I needed to?

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Only if you anneal it, cherry red drop it into clean water
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just a quick reply as I am off to work now. I have just used a 12" steel rule to drag edge on across the head and it has highlighted a few slightly raised areas. As it is flat and has a sharpish edge can I use that to pull across the head to skim any odd bits down to ensure it is flat? seems reasonable to me, worked perfect when we iced my step daughters wedding cake so should do ok on an ally head

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote:Thanks all, would you risk using an old copper gasket? + what stuff would you use to do the grinding if I needed to?

Paul
Paul. Rob is technically quite correct in suggesting the good practice of 'grinding in' ('lapping' would be my choice of word) using valve grinding paste. Ensure that you identify which areas of the head and barrel are the actual mating surfaces. However, as Colin says, unless there is an obvious mismatch or high/low spots I'd leave well alone. That said, it's a bit concerning that the P.O. who is believed to have overhauled the top end, has used some sealant on the gasket 'twixt head and barrel. He may have had a sealing problem or may simply be someone who slaps sealant on every joint. He may have failed to anneal the gasket (even if a new one was used as Colin commented) or not tightened/retightened the head bolts sufficiently. Personally, I would use a new copper gasket as you don't know what has happened to the old one, and anneal it. I don't think your icing spatula would work and you could do more harm than good; it's best to lap the two surfaces together, simultaeneously, at the same time, also, innit.
At risk of being boring (or of being condescending as I was accused when I last posted these pics) here's a couple of pics of annealing - heat to cherry red all over and drop into cold water:
The sudden cooling isn't strictly necessary but it does shake off any crispy bits from an old gasket

The zorst port does look a bit cokey - was the inlet valve oil feed screw set correctly?

Sorry if I'm covering what you already know but it saves time and may enable you to crack on if I answer thoroughly rather than have a cascade of Q&A posts. Anyway, another cold grey day here (like living inside a ping-pong ball); I've picked all the fluff out of my jacket Velcro, the car's in for service, the dog won't get up for his walk, the grass is too wet to cut and contractors have severed the water main :( so I'm just passing time..........
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

Just wondering, but if the engine had previously had a top end rebuild, is it one that needs the head tightening down again after a few miles and, if so, was it done?