Spark plug re-thread and other issues

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Spark plug re-thread and other issues

Post by Ozmadman »

Well, head assembled and back on, checked piston and rings all ok (like new) so no worries there. Managed to get the valve springs back by hand, a bit of a mission but can be done if you have reasonable strength. Can't get any further as I am waiting for two rocker sleeves but have two questions.. 1) I always use jointing compound on paper gaskets and did so on the barrel base gasket but after I had assembled it I saw in the manual that you shouldn't use jointing compound on the crankcase side, why is this? All I can see is maybe problems getting a stuck on gasket off the ally at a future time .. any ideas??
2) The 5th head bolt is not tightening up too tightly, I have tightened the 4 main bolts to 35lbft ( I know the other bolt should just be tight and not the same torque as the others) but it only goes so far and just spins?? the thread is not stripped on bolt or in barrel and i have even shortened it just in case it was bottoming out but it appears there is an insert(not a helicoil but a solid insert) in the barrel (weird as it is cast iron) that turns at a certain tightness??

I can't start the bike yet as there is no exhaust on it as I want to attend to the centre stand problems at the same time(whilst the exhaust is off), just wondering how important this extra bolt is or do you think I am facing an oil leak on start up???

Paul

Just adding to the above.. it looks like the wrong bolt has been fitted?? first of all it is a screw threaded all the way up and it should be a bolt and secondly I am not sure but it looks like it may be a metric thread (there are some markings on the top of the head and it is zinc plated ) I have ordered the correct bolt along with my rocker sleeves and will go from there
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed