Lots of questions

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

Lots of questions

Post by davegsx »

I have just got a AJS csr 250,
I am after a choke/air lifter cable i have had a look on the parts supplie shop and there are three listed.

(900643)
M38/38.CABLE CHOKE MK1 CONCENTRIC
(T340)
MC-36/36.CABLE AIR CONTROL;
(T800)
MC-38/38.CABLE AIR CONTROL.
(T800A)
M38/36.CHOKE CABLE W/-MIDWAY ADJ.
I don't know which one to order, also the battery as nothing to hold it down, i presume a band of some sort does this job, but i can't find the part number.
I won't to change the engine and gear box oil and it requires SAE 50 oil,
Classic Engine Oil SAE50 monograde 5 litres detergent free or do i need the low detergent oil ?
Janet

Re: Lots of questions

Post by Janet »

Dave, you may find some of the info on this website http://www.archives.jampot.dk/will be useful. It is often referred to a Christian's Archives because it was set up by Christian Gyde from Denmark, one of our overseas members who sometimes visits our forum.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

would also need to know what carb you have on your bike.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Thank you for the replies, here is a picture of the carb.

Does this help?
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Janet wrote:Dave, you may find some of the info on this website http://www.archives.jampot.dk/will be useful. It is often referred to a Christian's Archives because it was set up by Christian Gyde from Denmark, one of our overseas members who sometimes visits our forum.
Thank you, i have taken a look, what a lot of information. Must have taken him ages.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

carb looks OK, I don't know why cables were offer for concentric carb, as far as I know that was a later carb than the bike. I would expect air cable T340 ( use for 023696 ) offered by the club spares should not fit OK
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

davegsx wrote:also the battery as nothing to hold it down, i presume a band of some sort does this job, but i can't find the part number.
I won't to change the engine and gear box oil and it requires SAE 50 oil,
Classic Engine Oil SAE50 monograde 5 litres detergent free or do i need the low detergent oil ?
I use a flat webbing pull strap to secure my battery as the genuine clamp is very hard to find and as it is hidden behind the cover I'm ok with that. As for the oil, I use an sae 40 in the winter and 50 in the Summer, try here for the 50 at least as it is a little bit more difficult to find locally than the 40

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Engine-Oils/

If you only use your bike in the summer just stick with the 50

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

I use a low detergent SAE 50 monograde mineral oil all year round in my Matchless. If the engine is clean to begin with, such as following a total rebuild, it keeps the minute particles of new carbon in suspension, most of which will come out at each oil change. Non-detergent oils allow the particles to settle and build up in places where the oil flow isn't great and there are no moving parts, so they don't cause wear. Therefore both can be used. However, if the engine has been used with non-detergent oil that then gets replaced by a detergent oil, it will loosen the deposited sludge in lumps and could cause blockages in oil pipes. Think of the effect of Wynn's engine flush. This isn't a problem if the change is done with that knowledge so a repeat change after a few miles can be made and will get rid of more of the stuff. Be aware that if you happen to be hundreds of miles from home and need a top up for some reason, unless you are carrying spare oil, (something I always recommend ) the oil you have to buy in an emergency is likely to contain a detergent. Change your oil when you get back.

It is very important that you get 3 pints in the gearbox as all the moving parts are near to top so a low level means they get no lubrication. The engine should have 2½ pints and 1 pint in the chaincase.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Thank you,
I have purchased the choke/air lifter cable and battery strap from the spares scheme, i have purchased 5 ltrs of Rock Oil SAE50 Classic Motor Oil Monograde, that was the easy bit. I have down loaded some of the publications from Mr Christian, i think i have got the right ones, just need to get them printed out. but have run out of ink.
Below is a picture of me getting the bike home, towed by my trusty 1961 Land Rover.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Useful vehicles Land Rovers....

Peter W