MOT today

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

MOT today

Post by davegsx »

I got the bike MOT and taxed today. But on the way back it started to splutter on full throttle, it would go fine on part throttle. Could it be a blocked main jet ?
Rob Harknett

Re: MOT today

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's the usual, blocked jet & muck laying in the bottom. If you have not got an air filter, hold your hand over the air intake and make the carb suck. That can often work, if there's not too much muck about.
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

I stuck one of these in the delivery hose on my bike having discovered bits of debris in the float chamber. Say goodbye to blocked jets forever, small and unobtrusive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Filter-I ... 6449918%26
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

I spent all morning cleaning the carb out but the problem remained, So i decided to look to see if it was electrical, I removed the cover for the points and started the bike up and when i revved it I could see the spark jumping between the outer parts of the points, this only happens on full throttle, i tried to clean up the points this helped. So i have ordered a new set along with the condenser. Lucky for me there was a nice chap at the spares counter who told me what parts i needed. for information the part numbers are S1231 for the condenser and S3908 for the points.
sjr

Post by sjr »

I once had a Model 8 which went through condensers as a pastime. I think it may be something to do with being under that bulbous cover, it gets pretty hot under there - probably not ideal for long term condenser health and happiness.

The symptoms were exactly like yours - sparking at the points and rough running.
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

sjr wrote:I once had a Model 8 which went through condensers as a pastime. I think it may be something to do with being under that bulbous cover, it gets pretty hot under there - probably not ideal for long term condenser health and happiness.

The symptoms were exactly like yours - sparking at the points and rough running.
One of the troubles (potentially) today is that points and condensers are made in China. In the case of my Mobylette moped this means that the points contacts have a tungsten plating so thin that it is literally just atoms thick and lasts no time at all and the condensers are just cheap quality inferior rubbish. Some people seem to have so much condenser trouble on the mopeds that they delete the condenser from inside their flywheel magnetos and mount a remote one on the frame some place so as to facilitate changing.

Julian
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Yes, I had exactly the same problem and with the cost of new points and condenser every few thousand miles it was cheaper to fit electronic ignition, no more problems and more efficient starting and running, never looked back. :beer:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

I've always clung on to the originals where ever possible, definitely better quality. The set on mine are at least 40 years old.

Seems Johnny Foreigner skimps on the contents - http://www.distributordoctor.com/distri ... ensers.htm

T'other thing is to make absolutely sure they are connected properly.
http://www.paulhunt73.webspace.virginme ... 25conn.jpg
I know this is the wrong set-up (its an MGB) but it illustrates that the condenser should join the base plate & the contacts, its an easy mistake to make to put it the wrong side of the insulation.
Peter W
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Tolly wrote:Yes, I had exactly the same problem and with the cost of new points and condenser every few thousand miles it was cheaper to fit electronic ignition, no more problems and more efficient starting and running, never looked back. :beer:
Where did you get the electronic ignition ?
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

SideValve wrote:I've always clung on to the originals where ever possible, definitely better quality. The set on mine are at least 40 years old.

Seems Johnny Foreigner skimps on the contents - http://www.distributordoctor.com/distri ... ensers.htm

Most certainly the right way to go, If you can clean up your old points well enough then keep them going for as long as you can.

Julian.