G2 COIL

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
743GUO

G2 COIL

Post by 743GUO »

Can anyone advise me on getting a new 6V coil for my G2? One of the terminals has snapped off so I definitely need a new one. Bought one on ebay, but it had the wrong HT lead connection. So I bought one from the club spares scheme - still the wrong HT lead connection. Mine is threaded inside and at 90 degrees to the coil if I stand it up. Spares scheme was wasn't threaded and stood up in line with coil. Anyone know where I can get a new one that will fit?
Glen
RAY BOWMAN

Re: G2 COIL

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hi Glen,
Could you search out a connector for the Coils you have, might be the cheapest!.
Regards Ray Bowman.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

I assume that there are 2 threaded posts on the coil and the terminal that is snapped is bolted onto that and takes a "Lucar" (spade) connector?

Contact me off the forum, I should be able to help.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I put one for a Triumph Bonneville on mine. It looks like those you purchased but it fits and works. One day Glyn will work out where it went to. :lol:
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Modern replacement coils use different size of HT connector (metric?).
900747 is listed as clip for HT lead - coil end.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You may find new batteries will also have non matching connectors to original wiring on your bike.
Its not too difficult to change the old type connectors to new. I have matched all my bikes that get used.
So I need only one 6v and one 12v battery of a suitable type, to fit most of my bikes, either direct in the bike or hid inside an old black hollowed out battery. So I have only 2 battery's to maintain.
743GUO

Post by 743GUO »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ray - good thought, worth a try.

Colin - the whole threaded post and plastic base has snapped off - nothing of it left, which is why I needed a new one.

Janet - thanks, I'll look out for one if all else fails. (I won't tell Glyn if you don't!)

Stuoyb - So you think a 900747 might help? I could try it.

Rob - Mmm. Wasn't planning on swapping any more than I have to. Battery is fine.

I've had no reply from the spares scheme - are they generally good at replying to messages?

Glen
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

743GUO wrote:Can anyone advise me on getting a new 6V coil for my G2? One of the terminals has snapped off so I definitely need a new one. Bought one on ebay, but it had the wrong HT lead connection. So I bought one from the club spares scheme - still the wrong HT lead connection. Mine is threaded inside and at 90 degrees to the coil if I stand it up. Spares scheme was wasn't threaded and stood up in line with coil. Anyone know where I can get a new one that will fit?
Glen
Just use your one from ebay and change the connection on the end of the HT lead to a push in type, it's easy.. I doubt if you will get one like your old one

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed