Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
rex.webb

Re: A little ride on my 250

Post by rex.webb »

Sounds OK !
BUT !!!!!!!!
No GLOVES ON ?
NAUGHTY FELLOW .
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to Enjoy your bike,s and Scooter,s .
Insured with
PETER JAMES .
r w webb
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

davegsx wrote:The ignition was on I the other side is E so i presume that E is emergency is that correct? The choke is a bit of a mystery if you push it the other way the choke is on i have to leave it that way and the choke slide then is all the way to the top of the carb. Not sure if this is right or not, Anyone ???
The choke should be off (no choke at all) when the lever is facing downwards ie: pointing towards you as the rider and fully on when it faces to the right ie parallel with the handlebars. All I can suggest is that the cable is too short resulting in the position you have at the moment, or for some reason the choke on position means that the lever is further to the right than normal. As for the switch, look at the picture of my headlamp, the I is to the left and the E to the right (not in view)meaning that to use 'Ignition' the switch has to be turned to the right to line up the 'I' with the small indent on the headlamp shell.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Nice little clip Dave, see you at North Weald tomorrow?
Choke, lever set so cable at it's tightest, ign switch if the same as my twin clockwise from off for on anti clockwise for emergency.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

bigwol wrote:ign switch if the same as my twin clockwise from off for on anti clockwise for emergency.
Has anyone got a model 8 or G5 who can tell me which way their switch operates? only mine is the other way round cos that is how the knob is marked?? Maybe I have been riding on emergency all the time if it is the wrong knob, any way to find out? both ways work and show the same discharge on the ammeter. Can't imagine the 250 being different unless it is a late one and at some point they changed it round??, My 8 is a 1960 model

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Switches are same for 250 and 350, sitting on the bike ignition switch is on the left, turn the switch clockwise for normal ignition, I, turn counter clockwise for emergency ignition E.
The light switch is on the right, turn switch clockwise for headlight, H and turn switch counter clockwise for pilot light, L, why L I don't know............Little light :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

My switch is anti clockwise for I and clockwise for E. Im at work until midnight but in the morning I'll take a picture of it. Mine is a 1967 model.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Bigwol. I will be working so won't be able to make it. I have checked my shifts and can only make two meetings this year. Need to get a better job.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Have I got my anti clocks mixed............

only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:
bigwol wrote:ign switch if the same as my twin clockwise from off for on anti clockwise for emergency.
Has anyone got a model 8 or G5 who can tell me which way their switch operates? only mine is the other way round cos that is how the knob is marked?? Maybe I have been riding on emergency all the time if it is the wrong knob, any way to find out? both ways work and show the same discharge on the ammeter.
You can tell when the engine is running. When it's on emergency, all alternator coils come in so boosts the charging rate. This will show on the ammeter.

Edit: The ignition switch on my G2 turns as you describe (although my light switch is on the left and ignition switch on the right. That's how there were when I got the bike and I've got used to them that way).
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cbranni wrote:Have I got my anti clocks mixed.
No, you are ok (IGN=clockwise, E= anticlockwise) it's just that your IGN switch is on the left but mine, like Janet's, is on the right?? as is Dave's in the video clip (which is correct, anyone know?). regardless of left or right it's still strange though why his IGN position is anticlockwise??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8